Built by ....unknown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My account is by no means old, but i`m already looking through the various items i have, some of which i have built and i`m seeing "built by unknown" on a great many. I was even given a notecard yesterday and when i checked it to pull the profile of the person i was talking to.....it gave me the wrong one.

Why is it that the identity of items and made objects is so easily lost in second life?

Generally, if an object comes up as creator "unknown", it means it probably has a script in it somewhere that was made by someone other than the final creator. If a notecard that you received from person "A" comes up as pointing you to person "B", it just means that person "B" wrote the original notecard and person "A" either edited it, or, just erased the original text and wrote new text on it. The permissions system will show the first person to create the notecard, not those who edit it afterwards.

I've never seen an item come up unknown when it had multiple creators (it's supposed to default to the root prim) unless the creator was lost (the borks I mentioned).

the only exception I've seen is some older format objects can show as unknown when viewed from inventory, but will show correctly if rezzed (and usually after taking it back, because rezzing updates the format.)

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Yes, when rezzed it should show the creator of the root prim. But if properties are checked while in inventory, the "unknown" creator appears. Here's Torley's video on it:

This, however, isn't ALWAYS the case.  I have a lot of items I personally have created, I'm the only person with prims in the linkset, and in my inventory, it shows Creator: (unknown).  When I rez them, it does show my name as the creator.  An example is a piece of artwork.  I created 3 different sizes.  I created the box to hold them all.  I put all three sizes in the box and then took it back into inventory  I checked and sure enough, in my inventory, it showed (unknown) and the permissions were completely wrong.  In fact, it showed no permission at all!  No Mod, No Copy, No Transfer.  The mod and transfer boxes were grayed out meaning I could not select them.  I could click the copy box which would open up the transfer box, click the transfer box so that was enabled, then I'd have to unclick the copy box which would gray out the transfer box again. 

It's a huge pain.  So...something else is going on too and I don't know if it has to do with Phoenix or what. *shrugs*

Marcus, I believe you, with so many different viewers out there, anything is possible with regard to variations on a glitch. I can only report what is true in my case (Imprudence viewer or 1.23 LL viewer) and what I've read/seen from LL explaining the phenomenon.

One thing I do know, and perhaps you know this already - set permissions on objects when they are rezzed inworld. Don't do it from either your inventory or from the edit window "bulk" permissions option. It's a formula for disaster. Only scripts and clothing layer permissions can be set in inventory. Objects need to be rezzed to set permissions or they will be subject to a well documented bug that causes them to break/bork.

• 8 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.