Linden Labs Maintenance of servers

Mabon Lynagh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In Laymans terms the terms are sometimes interchangable. Like, if you car idles to high...well, it needs seeing to, fixed, maintenance, tune up, or...well, it is broke. It is sort of all of those things to most people, but usually maintenance is seen as oil changes....I mean, the system works BUT needs to have preventative maintenance. So, in reality...fixing something that is broke might be maintenance, but preventative maintenance might be what people think of when they hear maintenance. For a server...uh, I guess backups, updates in code that fix obscure bugs that don't occur much, swapping out drives before they break down, or something like scanning the drives to see what errors and write times there is to help indicate failures that coudl get worse. But, the word is used so interchably it does not matter. I am sure the words doesn't mind this, and has a nice cottage to retire to and thinks not of our issues of how we say it. In time, it might tell us how it wishes to be used, then we can try to not hurt it's feelings...until then....we will never know what damage we do by abusing the english language.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.