Need help! First time getting/renting land...

Eliza Sandalwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm thinking of upgrading my account to Premium so I can buy land.

But I'm confused. Do I need to pay Land Use Fees (I'm thinking of the lowest one) AND buy land? And what about parcel/pixel use? Do I have to pay a fee for that as well?

I just want to know all the fees one has to pay when owning land. I really want to have my very own place to decorate as I choose... do you think renting an empty skybox would be cheaper? Know of any empty skybox renters??

Any help is much appreciated!

~Eli

Here  is info I have posted:

Owning Land in Second Life. Starter section

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/01/kit-owning-land-in-second-life-starter.html 

A parcel you buy or rent  will come with an allocation of prims, included in the cost.  You can get a Linden home, with land, included in the cost of the premium account.  If you want land in a specific place, you will probably have to buy it  at a cost additionl to the maintenace cost.   

You can rent without a premium account.  But be careful   Rent from an established landlord who has a lot of properties.  And dont rent for a long period.  You have little recourse if the sim closses before the rental term.

TKR 

Hi Eliza,

If you rent land from a private landlord then you don't need a premium account so you save yourself the monthly premium account membership fees which at the very cheapest is $6.00/month and that's only if you are billed annually at $72.00 a year. Premium membership includes a free linden home but with that you are limited to the homes LL has available to pick from or if you don't want the free linden home you can purchase your own land elsewhere on mainland regions up to the first 512sqm 117prims parcel is free. There's advantages and disadvantages of both options. Some private rentals are actually cheaper on monthly tier then what you would pay to LL via premium membership costs and land use fees. My best advice to you is to do some research and look around for what best fits your needs. Also regarding another poster's comment about renting, to make sure that landlord has lots of properties isn't always a good thing just as is in rl more properties doesn't always equal better renter experience for tenants.

A lot of people consider buying Mainland land as being more "secure" as you are the owner, as much as anyone can own virtual land & not at risk of a landlord evicting you without warning & keeping your money.  Having said that, there are a lot of reputable private landowners offering good deals in rentals.

The cost of Premium membership is not really a factor, since the money you get back throughout the year in Stipends & bonus, almost cover the entire cost, especially if you pay yearly instead of monthly, you end up paying something like $5.60 for the entire year & for that you not only get a tier free 512sqm land allowance but all access to full support.

When you buy mainland, the size of the land is what determines the amount you pay in tier fees, which is best described as Land tax or maintaince fees such as you would pay in RL. The amounts are listed on https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php Your would also have the initial charge of buying the land, but you can recover that if you choose to sell it again at a later date. The cost of land fluctuates, so you could end up making more or less than you originally pay.

You sound like you want a Skybox, so basiclally all you need to do is, find a skybox that fits on a 512sqm plot, go an buy one anywhere on the mainland & place your skybox there & you will not pay any tier fees at all. A 512sqm only has 117 prims, so if your skybox is made of say 60 prims, that leaves you with 57 prims to decorate it. It is the lack of prims that usually makes people buy bigger land & end up paying tier fees.

Thank you all for the responses! From when I asked the question to now I have done my research and bought land as a private estate from a good reliable company! I'm very happy :) All it took is taking the time to research and comparing prices as well as reliability. Thanks again for help!

- Eli <3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.