Microphone/Headset

Nilly513

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im so tired of typing on here and a lot of my friends use microphones to talk instead of having to type all of the time. Since I've never used one before I need to go by one for my computer, is there any certain type or brand I should buy? Any specific kind to use with SL? And which lasts longer, a mic or a headset? Any replies would be much appreciated :)

I have used a Logitech headset (with built-in mic) since voice rolled out in SL and Logitech works well.  Just make sure that you get a headset with some cushion for comfort.  

ETA:  Your second message poofed.  Yes, they work for laptops and desktop computers.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I have used a Logitech headset (with built-in mic) since voice rolled out in SL and Logitech works well.  Just make sure that you get a headset with some cushion for comfort.  

ETA:  Your second message poofed.  Yes, they work for laptops and desktop computers.

I have a logitech headset too.. and Im wondering Venus if you know the answer to this..

I prefer to use skype instead of SL voice.. but when I plug the headset in, it automatically sends the audio from SL to the headset, I'd prefer that to still go through the laptop speakers and let skype go through the headset.. Do you use skype also or just SL voice? And if so, do you by any chance know how to configure it so that skype uses the headset and not SL? (I know I've gone off the main subject here, but would appreciate any help.)

Wiki

First of all yes, Thumbs Up for Logictech USB heasets!

And about your question Wicked you have to set your speakers as default in Windows before entering SL. To do that, right-click on the little speaker icon on the bottom right bar. Then choose Playback Devices and in there set "Speakers" as the default (not the Logitech Headset). Then, once in SL, you have to change the device in Preferences for the chat (located under "Audio - Video". In there, select your headset as the device for voice instead of "default". This way sounds and music will play on your speakers but voice on your headset...

Oups :manvery-happy:

Just go look at some and see what looks right for you. Prices range all over the place. My advise is don't buy the cheapest one you see, and you don't need the most expensive either. I personally use a GameCom by Plantronics and like it. Its big but its built well and has a good mic in it. It wasn't very cheap either, over 50 bucks if I remember correctly.

And for sure get a head set, not a desktop mic, those have serious echo problems in sl. And when you use a headset remember to shut your desktop speakers off or it will echo too.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.