SL Viewer 8 won't recognize my graphics card

AnthonyMann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL viewer worked fine on my new HP laptop through several versions,  then I downloaded the new 2.8 viewer. When the install program asked if I would like to launch the viewer, I said yes and it worked just fine, as always.

But after I logged off that first time, and I tryed to log on again, it would just get to "initializing VFS' then crash and send an error report. Today, they came out with another update, I installed that, and selected 'no' to launch the viewer from the intall. Now I get to 'initializing VFS' then an error message saying 'update my graphics driver'

I downloaded the beta viewer and the same thing happened. It will run from the installer, but not after that.

I've downloaded firefox and I use that temporarily, but I was used to SL viewer and I want it back.

Is there some kind of fix for this? I run SL on an HP Pavilion dv6-3250us with an Intel(R) HD Graphics driver and a i5 Core processor 2.67GHz and running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I tried valerie's link, and tried the items there (deleting the appdata folder, etc) then 2.8.1 would start in basic mode, but gave me the same error message of 'update your graphics card'.

So, I'm now using SL Viewer 6.9, and happy with it. Thanks!

Thanks for your time and expertise! i am very grateful that there are knowledgeable people out there that take the time to read these things and help folk out.

All the fixes I find seem to be about graphics drivers, but that doens't fix my laptop and it's Intel driver.

3 answers to this question

As Valerie suggests, try Nyll's solution in the thread that she referenced.  It may work for you.  Otherwise, remove the current viewer from your machine completely. Then either stick with Firestorm or download and install a previous version of V2 (from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Release_Notes).  If you decide to use V2, disable the automatic upgrade feature (in Preferences >> Setup).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.