Password assistance

Kobi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I wasnt very sure where it should go and this seemed as good a place as any :)

Twice now I have a received an email from Linden labs asking me to follow a link to change my password, the kind you get when you have forgotten it, the problem is I have never requested a new password so think someone must be trying to get into my account, probably by mistake.  Is there anything I can or should do about this?  Thanks for all replies.

Kobi.

Kobi wrote:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I wasnt very sure where it should go and this seemed as good a place as any
:)

Twice now I have a received an email from Linden labs asking me to follow a link to change my password, the kind you get when you have forgotten it, the problem is I have never requested a new password so think someone must be trying to get into my account, probably by mistake.  Is there anything I can or should do about this?  Thanks for all replies.

Kobi.

Report it to LL and trash the eMails.

• 1 month later...

lilliebell4 wrote:

someone has changed my password i got a email also saying you password has been changed and i havent changed it 

Change it again yourself, directly from the link on your dashboard & not from any link in any email & do not tell anyone your password.

If any damage has been done in your account you can create a ticket " I beleive my account has been compromised", but you could end up getting your account put on hold while it is investigated, so unless there is a serious problem I wouldn`t bother, just make sure your account is secure again now.

• 8 months later...

An update to say that this is still going on. One of my alts received the "Password Assistance" email on 25 May (three days ago).  The wording:

Click the link below to reset your password.
((((the link begins "h t t p s://secondlife.com/my/account/verify    [with no spaces] and goes on. Looks authentic; no misspellings.))))

If clicking does not work, you can copy and paste the link into your Web browser. Once you have gone to the link, we will give instructions for resetting your password.
Linden Lab and the Second Life Team

...then it shows "Your IP Address" .

Needless to say, I didn't click on the link. As others have said in this thread, when dealing with your password NEVER click on a link in an email, group notice, or ....well, ANY link. Come directly to this site and this site only--don't enter personal information anywhere OTHER than here!

That said: I'm dismayed that these 'entrepreneurs' are still in business.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.