why do i keep crashing everytime i try to open SL?

xcaseyxo2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Yeah, and I suppose you think someone knows what is the problem, too. A question like you asked does nothing to help you or anyone who wants to try to help. It's identical to the stupid question I just posted in response to the equally stupid question you aked............and I believe you were serious too.

Computer specs, what operatiing system do you run, your graphics card/adapter, how do you connect to the Internet? What viewer are you using. Anything except "SL crashes when I try to launch it.......what's wrong?"

See what I'm saying?

Try something simple first.  With Second Life closed, go to the appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder.

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\cache
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache AND
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262))
Mac - /Users//Library/Caches/SecondLife
Linux - ~/.secondlife/cache

(If you are not using LL's V2 viewer, you will need to find the cache folder for your viewer and delete it.)

Then reboot your computer and try logging in to SL.  Sometimes that easy process is all that it takes. Now, if that doesn't work, here's LL's best advice.....

If Second Life crashes during the loading process, you may be using an uncommon combination of settings that we were unable to test during our quality assurance process. This problem is more common in beta and Project Viewers than in released Viewers.

To restore your default settings without reinstalling Second Life, move all of your existing settings files to a different, temporary directory. Next time Second Life starts, it will create a new, default set of settings files. Get help finding your user settings.

If restoring your default settings fixes your problem, please file a bug report in the Public Issue Tracker and attach your original settings files (the ones you saved in a temporary directory) so we can analyze them and solve the problem for future Residents.

If this still doesn't solve your problem, some bad cache files might be causing the crash logger itself to crash. Try clearing out your cache files, uninstalling Second Life, and reinstalling.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.