New Viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the new viewer? When I use mine, it is really hard to read because the letters are white against no background. Is this a bug? If it isn't, then I wish they'd go back to the previous version. Also, why is it that every time I log in to Second Life, they seem to be updating the viewer? I am getting really frustrated.

Dorie Citron

Something is screwed up by the sound of it. Try completely removeing the viewer and reinstalling it again. That means you have to uninstall the viewer, and also delete the SecondLife folder from C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming.

The automatic update can be disabled in me->Preferences->Setup. 

- Luc -

Most of us are excited about the new features coming out in the viewers. I use the Development Viewer so I update 2 to 3 times per week. But, I write about viewers in my blog (see signature). However, things are changing quickly. Bugs that have been around for years are being cleanup, new and better ways (in some cases the 'better' is debatable) of doing things are beeing fixed, and new features are being added. So, the only way to get the new features, is update.

Depending on your operating system, Windows or Apple, and viewer, SLV?, Phoenix? Imprudence? Firefox? Dolphin? Singularity? Kirsten's?, the answer on which files to delete to reset your settings changes. If you click HELP -> About in the viewer and paste the contents of that panel in a post asking about a technical problem, you are more likely to get good answers.

A readability problem may be a corupt viewer file or a bad setting. If you delete your settings file, the next time the viewer starts it will create a new set of default settings. That usually corrects settings problems. The file in Vista and Win7 is: C:\Users\[windows_user_name]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml

If deleting that file does not correct the problem, you may need to do a clean install of the SL Viewer. For the long 'How To' see my: Second Life Clean Install. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.