SOLVED: Skin change works for human but not furry, please help!

catlechat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

a total newbie here. I picked a cat avatar, but I want to change the color  from the standard ginger to gray or black. I followed the procedure from some manual - edit outfit, select skin, choose a texture for head, upper and lower tattoos (picked a texture from my textures folder, there's a lot of stuff there, guess it was provided by default, for the moment I don't care that it doesn't resemble fur, just want to get started with editing). Also upped pigmentation for a good measure (which I suppose didn't work, I don't see any change in the edit menu when I do it). But there was no effect.

To be sure, did the same procedure with a human avatar (student), and it worked, the changes could be seen right away even before saving.

Is there something special about skins for furries? Do I have to create the whole avatar from scratch?

Thanks in advance!

[edit] here are screenshots of the edit menu just in case: 

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2785/skinej.jpg

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2106/skin1.jpg 

It depends on the avatar. Many animal avatars like this one hide all of the skin with prims, so the skin is irrelevant. I notice that av has an alpha layer, which probably makes the entire avatar skin invisible. Probably the only reason the av includes a skin at all is because you have to wear a skin .The way avs are built, you are always wearing at least skin, eyes, 'system hair' (as opposed to hair made of prims) and a shape.

If you wanted to change the appearence of that kind of avatar, you'd have to edit the surface texture of the prims that make up the body parts - the pieces that are worn like "Cat_Abdomen" & "Cat_Chest".

Welcome to SL. Looks like everything you were seeking has been addressed, but here's some tangental thoughts: :)

That kind of avatar is usually called a 'Feral' rather than a 'Furry' inside the 'furry community.'

I guess this means the new non-human avatars are finally available for choosing in the registration screen. Last thing I needed to know, I've got enough freaking alts. :D

If you want more help and to get to know people in a similar community try going to 'Luskwood' and, if my guess is correct about that cat - you might also find a welcome at 'Raglan Shire' - where the 'Tiny' community hangs out.

The folks in Luskwood have a habit of ignoring people who don't speak. So if you go there start chatting. The Raglan folks on the other hand seem to seek out people to chat up.

Also some great reviews of different furry and feral avatars here: http://www.slarf.org/ - though I've not seen a feral cat review yet, there is a good selection now of furry cats (and if you search for 'Uchi Felis' available from 'Curious Inc' - that's a very common freebie cat furry).

Wow Pussycat, thanks so much for all the info and tips! :D (great links in the .sig too). Will be sure to check them out (when my RL alter gets un-swamped with work lol). I suppose it's called "Feral" because of being completely animal? Eventually I'd like to have a human avatar with cat parts (head, tail & paws) but my design skills are not to the par yet, when I try to simply wear the cat head over human, back of the human's head shows through it. 

Actually, non-human avatars were not available on signup but they were right there in the "basic" mode, so of course I had to look :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.