Marketplace Failed Deliveries : Setting the record straight.

Harry Hyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so I haven't been a marketplace merchant for very long so I would very much appreciate it if we could set the record straight on this issue because i've contacted support and received two different answers so now i'm bringing it to the forums to see based on experience, which one is the correct answer.

My question was, what happens to failed deliveries? Does the customer receive their money back?

Here are the two different answers I got from LL. One was from a ticket and the other, live support.

Here is the first response:

"The Order on the Second Life Marketplace web site shows that delivery of the product failed.
When funds are transferred to Marketplace Linden to pay for the products, they are held in escrow on the Marketplace Linden account pending delivery of the product. If the item is delivered, then the funds are transferred to the Seller.
If the item cannot be delivered immediately, then the funds remain with Marketplace Linden while the Second Life Marketplace attempts to deliver the item.If the product cannot be delivered, then the funds are released to be refunded to the buyers account.If the buyer purchases additional items between the time that the funds are released and when they are refunded to the buyer, then a portion, or all, of the funds will be used for their additional product purchases.
If they do not purchase any additional products through the Marketplace then the funds are returned to them within 12 hours.If a buyer contacts you to let you know that they paid for an item but it was not received and the order shows that the purchase failed, please ask them to review their L$ Transaction Log to see if the funds have been refunded to them.
If they are unable to locate the refund on their Transaction Log, please ask them to contact Customer Support directly through the Support Portal and a member of Customer Support will be happy to provide them the entry and information directly from their logs."

Here is the second response I got from a live customer support agent.

"You: What happens to those orders when it fails? does the customer get their money back or?

Liza C: No the customers do not get their money back they need to either contact you for another delivery or submit a ticket for the refund. A lot of the items the magic boxes need to be reset, we are not the creators of magic boxes unless you got the free one off the knowledge base so i wouldnt be able to tell you but resetting them should be the first thing you do if you are having trouble with failed deliveries. Resetting the magic boxes acutally fixes most of the issues that are not directly related to a problem with our website.
Liza C: and changing them to a new box also helps as sometimes it is the box itself which is corrupted"

So which is it? And what am I as a merchant suppose to do? Lol!

One reason why I continue to build my business on incredibly inexpensive full permissions items is that there's not much of a stink if they don't get delivered quickly, and so that people who actually have paid for their copies don't feel too screwed when I turn around and send freebies out to people whose orders have failed.

As far as I know the first responce is correct. The second one would apply when "The Order on the Second Life Marketplace web site shows that delivery of the product was completed but the customer didn't receive it for some reason like the delivery got capped, the customer was in busy mode, SL blackhole swalloed it and such".

Both answers are true. The first answer describes how it's supposed to work. Some failed transactions are indeed rolled back and the customer is being refunded (although the 12 hour period is unacceptable, imho. LL need to cut that down to 12 minutes).

In other cases though, the process doesn't work as intended. The transaction goes through and the merchant gets the money, but the customers don't receive their purchases. This happens way too often.

Of course it is no problem to redeliver the item if it's not transferable, but people would like to receive their purchases within an acceptable time period, and merchants can't be online 24/7. Marketplace customers should be able to redeliver their own purchases in case of copyable and non-transferable items. Even years later if they happen to suffer an inventory loss or accidentally delete a folder.

• 2 weeks later...

The most common problem I have is both buyer and seller show the item was delivered, but it wasnt. Ask your customer if they used the shopping cart with multiple purchases and 9 times out of 10 the answer is yes. The shopping cart is beyond belief buggy and should be eliminated until it is fixed imo. 

• 1 month later...

I have two orders that I failed to receive while others were delivered and there was funds in my account. The two invoice are as follows: 

August 30  Order #1279527369 and Sept 2 #1279719579

How do I get these two orders? I paid for them.  I'm new to all of this and still learning. All help is appreciated. Lynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.