Video card driver error on Win 7 64-bit , ATI HD Radeon 4350 graphics.

Ivy Batriani

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

System: Acer Aspire U5832

Win 7, 64-bit

AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor

4 GB Memory

ATI HD Radeon 4350 Graphics card

(Card meets the requirements for SL & I confirmed 64-bit support by LL)

This computer is 3 days old. It replaced a Dell with Vista OS and the SAME video card.  Never had any problems on Vista.  Installed viewer and got following msg: Second life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware....

I confirmed driver updated via AMD. I uninstalled video card via uninstall tool and reinstalled it via AMD website. I rebooted and received the above message with 2 different 3rd party viewers.

I cannot find an official specific or global solution to this problem and it's a common problem it seems.

Does anyone know the fix?

6 answers to this question

Here's the proper 64 bit driver for the card.  If that's the one you installed then maybe another uninstall and reinstall with a fresh copy......it's the right driver and it should work for you.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

I also looked your computer and that prompted a couple questions.  Your computer came with an onboard nVidia nForce 430 chipset video adapter.  That means you installed the 4350 card after you purchased your computer.  There's nothing wrong with that all..........I do it all the time.  Most modern computers when you install an after market device like a video card the system automatically detects the video card and disables the onboard video.......I don't trust auto nothing.  Check your setup to make sure you are using the 4350 card and not the nForce 430 chipset.......if you are then manually change it in the CMOS utility (your manual will tell you how to enter the utility.......usually hitting the delete key on boot up).  And I noticed the computer came with a 220 watt power supply.............I looked at the power requirements for your video card.  It requires a minimum of 300 watts.  The low wattage probably won't cause your problem with not being able to run SL but it could (and probably will) cause you problems if you continue to run your computer with a power supply rated that low and your video card.........it might void the warranty for your computer when it fails.

• Like 3

Good answers already (and I even gave a kudos *wink*) but wanted to emphasize (since I too have 64 bit) that you need to be SURE and get the correct driver. Sometimes it is difficult to find. Also the power supply issue is a biggie and I have mentioned that before in other posts.

So for other folks reading this be SURE and check the power supply on your computer before ordering a graphics card upgrade. 

And I agree about checking to make sure your system knows to use the new card and not the onboard one. Maybe returning that computer and getting one that will actually run your card (bigger power supply) would be an option. Most places let you return within a short period of time with no penalty.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.