What is the best size for the cache? What are the tradeoffs?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that we can have a cache of up to 9984 mB, I am wondering what the ideal size is.  Can it be too big, or is bigger always better?  If not, do some things get worse while others get better as it gets larger?  Does the ideal size depend on the hardware and/or software environment?  If so, how does that work?

Any help with this question will be appreciated.

Hi, generally the bigger the cache, the better. If the computer has very little memory, like close to the minimum requirements, the cache index does use some, so that could be a reason to keep it a little smaller. If you like to clear the texture cache as a habit, it will take longer to delete more files, but that is really just a startup thing.  For low end hardware built in 2011, 5 GB is fine.

More cache means more content on your machine which in theory, improves performance however, lets say the scene you are rendering is less than what you have in cache? Your system now has to process that cache as well as the new content to load your assets.

Furthermore, if you do not have the RAM or Graphics Card Capacity to support a larger cache, you will more than likely freeze up or crash as you memory reallocates.

At the end, a GB or less is usually adequate. Mine is set to 2GB and I have all my settings at their highest levels.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.