Deploys for the week of 2011-07-11

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

BlueSteel is getting promoted this week. BlueSteel was a maint-server branch with lots of fixes. It also includes fixes for the homestead performance issues.

Second Life Server (main channel)
Features
  • Added new parameter to llHTTPRequest - HTTP_VERBOSE_THROTTLE. Value is 4, type is integer. If specified in the parameters list as a non-zero value (true), the script will emit errors when the throttle for outgoing requests is hit. If zero (false), the script will remain silent on errors. The default value is true.
Example:
key http_request_id = llHTTPRequest("http://example.com/", [HTTP_VERBOSE_THROTTLE, 0], "");
  • SCR-67: Added new constant PRIM_OMEGA for use with llGetPrimitiveParamsllSetPrimitiveParamsllGetLinkPrimitiveParams,llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsllSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast. This gives access to the "target omega" property of primitives which can be set via llTargetOmega, but allows getting the current target omega for a prim (previously not supported) and setting the target omega on a child prim (previously only doable with a script on each prim).

The list has the signature [vector axis, float spinrate, float gain] like the parameters for llTargetOmega

Examples:

// Set this prim rotating
llTargetOmega(<1.0,3.0,0.5>, TWO_PI, 1.0);

// Read back this prim's current target omega
list current_omega = llListToList( llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_OMEGA]); // should be [PRIM_OMEGA, axis, spinrate, gain]
vector axis = llList2Vector(current_omega, 1); // Should be <1.0,3.0,0.5>
float spinrate = llList2Float(current_omega, 2); // Should be TWO_PI
float gain = llList2Float(current_omega, 3); // Should be 1.0

// Set all child prims rotating
llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_ALL_CHILDREN, [PRIM_OMEGA, <1.0,3.0,0.5>, TWO_PI, 1.0]);
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fixed issue with "Buy" option remaining set on purchased child prims of no-mod objects (Originally VWR-9796)
    • Addressed issue with teleport and other service failures affecting simulator hosts.
    • Server-side support for STORM-1261 - send message IDs on login failure to allow localization
    • SVC-6905: Fixed issue with objects resisting return, delete, take and autoreturn
    • WEB-3096: Fix unsubscribe link in IM-to-Email messages"
    • SVC-6953: Fixed issue where region restart notification appears to be from the avatar being notified.
    • SVC-5780: More specific error message when deeding land to group fails because transfers are blocked on the region

2011-07-12, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This is the "Avatar Visibility" project. The code in this channel allows parcel owners to choose whether to allow others to view avatars or hear sounds from inside the parcel. More details in the release notes.

2011-07-13, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
Thursday morning the 14th the "mesh-prep 2" project was released to this channel. This contains the merged mesh prep code. Mesh is not enabled. See the release notes for more info.

2011-07-13, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum

2011-07-13, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar

I'm a little confused. 

Firstly the reference to today's Main Grid roll has vanished from the grid status page - have the rolls been completed?

If so

Secondly, Woods of Heaven,  sim no. 2917 is still running Server 11.06.29.234329 - that is last week's roll.

How come?  Is there a problem?

Oskar

Thanks.  Mea Culpa re the Grid Status page it's my IE9.  I ran the page in compatibilty mode and the post was there. Duh.

I cannot get back to Woods to check (lifestyle issue - you don't want to know), so I'd be grateful if you could check.

Ay :matte-motes-bashful:

My Homestead is still sitting at Server 11.06.29.234329 after today's updates so I'm assuming none of the Homesteads on the grid got updated today and will all be updated together with these "new" Homestead fixes.

:matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

I updated the release notes with the new code going out in the morning. We had last minute issues with the "mesh-prep 2" branch and will not be shipping it to RC. Magnum has the homesteads performance fixes and we will be putting as many homesteads as possible onto that channel. BlueSteel has what should be a very welcome feature. Read about it here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

__Oskar

you mean to disable them? I don't think that would go over well considering that even a majority of people who have access to viewer side AO's don't actually use them due to limitations. never mind the effect of trapping vehicles.

@Oskar:
I'm kinda suprised about the avatar visibility project... I can imagine the drive for it, but it seems to conflict with the cohesive world goal that's been the standard till now.

Gemini Isle (Homestead) got switch over to RC Magnjum. TD is a steady 1.0 running LSL scripts only. How many regions are currently on RC Magnum at this very moment and what will actually happen when my Homestead goes back to the Main Channel and onto a host with 11 other Homesteads? I don't want to be on RC Magnum for too long of a time... just not a good business practice to be suseptible to code testing all the time   If you want to work out a procedure to do switch overs to the Main Channel (for short periods of time) for analysis, lemme know.  :-).

Yep, I do mean toggle to enable/diablediable them. Who wouldn't it go over well with... people that don't own land or people who do own land?

The toggle gives the landowner the option to choose.

AO HUDs are a thing of the past. They are the number one cause of major Time Dilation distortion when TPing in and out of regions and most AO HUDs are so script heavy they negatively impact region performance.

This toggle would also take care all those other attached scriopts that otherwise should not be running on land with scripts disabled.   :-)

@Oskar

Thankyou Oskar for your hard work on getting the Homesteads sorted.  We see 0.98-0.995 TD now with our sim, and it is clear that some of our scripts eat up sim time, since script time is up and spiking and free time very low...just about what I'd expected.

You are at 257513.4, 321980.2, 21.8 in Woods of Heaven located at sim2917.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.0.150:13001)
Second Life RC Magnum 11.07.11.235385.  So we are now on Magnum.

@Zena, as far as HUD AOs being a thing of the past, I don't know who you know, but no-one I know uses viewer side AOs yet and nearly everyone I know runs Phoenix.

Zena Juran wrote:

Yep, I do mean toggle to enable/diablediable them. Who wouldn't it go over well with... people that don't own land or people who do own land?

all AO users regardless of land ownership, not to mention a fair number of vehicle users (who's vehicle often contain kill and retrieval code). business owners certainly wouldn't see any benefit at this point, since they'd be unable to use it without driving off customers.

AO HUDs are a thing of the past. They are the number one cause of major Time Dilation distortion when TPing in and out of regions and most AO HUDs are so script heavy they negatively impact region performance.

the two most common and popular AO's use at best 2 scripts, and generally only one, and aren't actually that bad at all. there are a few resource hog versions out there but they are thankfully less common. they aren't even near the top of the script abuse impact tree. and we can already block people based on raw script count and memory usage if we truly want to, regardless of what it's used for.

and to be honest, the built in viewer AO's aren't mature enough to offer a full feature set yet, or any improvements (including auto change with avatar and attachment messaging)

Oskar Linden wrote:

The SL Grid Status page is having issues apparently. LeTigre is on the same code as main channel. Maestro and I were working on it til 11 last night to try to get it ready, but it had too many issues.

I was checking the RSS feeds and noticed the SL Grid status page has a new post just tonight (about phone support issues). Maybe the SL Grid status page is operational again?

I know people like their AO HUDs. I like the several that I have purchased over the years. But I don't plan to keep on purchasing new AO HUDs every time LL decides to make a change in scripting or server code. Some creators offer free updates but they are the minority not the majority.

The fact is... the majority of AO HUDs being worn out there right now negatively affect region performance. One only has to observe the Time Dialtion while avatars TP in and then go to Top Scripts and see what they are wearing... it certainly isn't just 2 scripts making it's way on to a region that has scripts turned off.

Except for noobs, almost everyone wears an AO HUD when socialixing and TPing about. That's a lot of scripts making a lot of negative impact grid wide. And to be Honest.... nothing that LL has done to server code thus far has changed how attached scripts impact region performance while avatars TP in and out.

A llTakeControls() toggle would surely cause any builtin AOs to mature in a hurry if need be and the grid as a whole would definitely benefit with having a much lighter script load.

The Big Picture... Merchants will be able to provide a more stable and a more lag free shopping environment bringing in more customers and allowing them to shop for longer periods of time without the continued frustration TD distortion causes due to TPs in and out.

This is a win-win not only for the economy but for everyone!

if you are purchasing an AO, then you are already doing it wrong, the top two models are free AND open source.

dance chims are a far worse problem than those AO's will ever be

PS
AO != HUD. one of the top 2 is, the other isn't, both are performance tuned, and the worst parts of AO's are not actually the scripts, but animations that need to be constantly downloaded in heavy traffic areas, which built in AO's do not address

Void Singer wrote:

if you are purchasing an AO, then you are already doing it wrong, the top two models are free AND open source.

dance chims are a far worse problem than those AO's will ever be

Do those include the anims also or just the scripts? I have the latest Zhao HUD availble from the marketplace that I loaded with copies of anims from my other HUDs, which makes for a nice custome AO HUD but even TPing into region with the Zhao disrupts the Time Dialtion enough to cause rubberbanding for everuone else in the region.

Void Singer wrote:

PS

AO != HUD. one of the top 2 is, the other isn't, both are performance tuned, and the worst parts of AO's are not actually the scripts, but animations that need to be constantly downloaded in heavy traffic areas, which built in AO's do not address

It doesn't matter how well an AO HUD or any otherr HUD is scripted (performance tuned); the fact is a HUD still is going cause mayhem when TPing into a region while attached to an avatar. That hurdle can only be addressed by giving landowners the option to toggle llTakeControls() as they deem necessary to provide the best lag free environment possible which SL sorely needs not only for the current economy to grow but for a higher retention rate of new residents. What do you think one of the largest documented complaints of noobs has been... "It's so laggy in here I can't move!". Once that toggle is in place, it will be a natural shift to viewers with builtin AOs which is already on the rise and not a huge paradigm shift.

If curent viewers supporting builtin AOs are actullay having real and not perceived problems with anims then the craeators of those viewers will need to address those issues .... cause and effect. I'm sure it will get done rather quickly if really needed.

The benefits of installing a toggle (and remember this is a toggle not a permanent OFF switch) for llTakeControls() to guide a shift to using viewers with builtin AOs for outweigh any perceived minor inconveniences.

This is too huge to ignore.

I dunno what makes you think a single (or even a dozen) active scripts attached to an avatar are going to cause appreciable effect... when even dozens don't.... it's the people with hundreds that cause a problem and even then those problems have been greatly reduced and mostly isolated to those avatars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.