boxing up textures question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

maybe somebody knows and can answer my question.

I would like to clean up some of my inventory. I have thousands of textures, some of which have been used in builds that I have sold.

I was thinking of putting my textures on notecards, and then boxing up the textures, however, i'm not sure if the builds that I have sold will still work and show the correct texture if I box them up.

Will boxing up the textures mess up the builds that I have sold?

Thanks.

The textures on the object you sold will remain available to the objects, but I would not assume that you will later be abe to access the ones you stored on the notecards.  I have had occasions when I could not recover assets embedded on notecards.  Fortunately, I still had them in object contents, and was able to get them back from the objects.  Since then, I keep things I dont want to lose in boxes.  

TKR

• Like 1

A little tip.  Most of the textures I have missing over the years where inside objects where I stored them to save room in my inventory. 

Though I do recomend that you do that, I also recommend that you save them to your computer.  Some day you will thank me. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you want to box and notecard your textures.

• You'll have to store everything twice, which is not only tedious but will inevitably lead to them getting out of sync, with some textures in one set of files but not in the other.
  • It will be a real pain locating the texture you want when building. I doubt you'll be able to remember what thousands of textures look like.
  • Textures embedded in notecards can be problematical. You might find that you can no longer extract a specific texture or an entire card may "go bad" on you. The chance of issues creeping in increases if you cut & paste to reorganize them.
  • Experience has shown me that there is a limit to the effective size of a notecard. And that size doesn't appear to be very large. Once the card has too much data, embedded LMs stop working and the card may take a long time to load. It may reach a point where it won't open at all.

A much more efficient method would be to store them in texture organizers. An organizer is essentially just a fancy box -- or rather a set of boxes within a box -- and with scripts that allow you to preview the contents and extract what you want with a few clicks of the mouse.

• With organizers, you'll only need to store textures once.
  • You'll have no concerns about keeping filesets in sync.
  • Reviewing them is a snap (provided, of course that you use a well-designed organizer and file them logically).
  • You can even cross-reference textures into multiple categories (though I advise against intentionally duplicating your textures in this manner).

Nor is it necessary to spend any lindens to get one. There are some excellent organizers available free of charge. I have tens of thousands of textures stored in mine and can easily find a good one to meet a specific need.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.