Photos & Textures are Gray After Firestorm x64-7-1-9-74745 Upgrade

2 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

It's the same in Firestorm, Alchemy and LL Viever, so it seems to hit across Viewers.

Not all viewers, no: try the Cool VL Viewer, World -> Environment settings -> Fix reflections blue hue.

Other TPVs are welcome to borrow this feature I submitted to LL but that they rejected (be sure to use the latest code, not the old pull request one, because I since made it so that it won't touch mirror reflections).

• Like 2

I agree, i am also experiencing objects are not fully loaded and stay gray after the upgrade to version 7. I tried full clean install but the problem remains. My pc and graphics are good, it is just the new version 7.xx that has issue with the textures.

Hey for me it's taking so long to load, most things load then some background stays grey :(  I love that you can see reflections and objects become clear

but only when it fully downloads which takes forever.   I will reinstall the previous viewer and wait until they fix these issues.  The mirror that 

AnimationsVista Animations came out with is awesome and there you see the effect of the new viewer and how awesome that will be.  I am hoping that

this situation will be fixed soon.  I did notice that in one sim where there are many cats they did not load fully they stayed grey everything else loaded except the 

cats :/

Posted (edited)

Me to,  updated to new firestorm viewer, textures and avatars are grey.  Takes forever for textures to show up if they do.   Installed Alchemy viewer works fine.   Not going to be using firestorm.   But will  uninstall and install the old version.   Will get back on that.

Edited by Casandra Kumsung
misspelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2024 at 12:41 PM, Tuu Munz said:

I'm not sure if these texture problems are caused by the PBR viewer. PBR might be part of the problem, but could it be possible that it isn't the whole problem?

I have had these "grey texture" problems ever since I returned to SL at the end of April after a one and a half year break. My first impression then was: what the **** have they done? Textures don't download, those that should be in my texture cache don't load, region crossings with vehicles work terribly most of the time — everything seems to work much worse than when I started my break in autumn 2022.

What's interesting is that I just noticed that I have these texture problems everywhere else in the grid, but very rarely at the SL21B event sims, like The Stonehold and Nimbus stages, even though there are tens of other avatars present.

Is the "grey texture" problem more of a connection and bandwidth issue than a PBR issue? (I assume the event sims have extra good connections?)

Is it a Firestorm problem? Do other viewers have the same issues? (By the way, yes, I have whitelisted Firestorm and the necessary folders a long time ago, and just checked that they are indeed whitelisted, so this shouldn’t be the problem.)

Is it a location problem? I have noticed that when I and some other users have these issues, others say that everything is okay. (I refer to different group chats.)

(P.S. My grandchildren are coming to visit for a few days, so I probably won’t have much time to follow up on this, but maybe it is useful to put these remarks here in case someone else has some thoughts about them.)

After spending about three weeks of my life adjusting various settings, searching for tips, and testing different viewers, I decided on Friday that enough was enough. I installed version 6.6.14 of Firestorm, and behold: everything works - everything loads within a reasonable time, textures don't stay gray, the map is usable again, no more black squares, etc.

I will see in due time, when 6.6.14 is blocked, what the situation is then; until then, I'll go with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuu Munz said:

I will see in due time, when 6.6.14 is blocked, what the situation is then; until then, I'll go with this.

The final non-PBR version of Firestorm is 6.6.17 and that is not likely to be blocked for quite a while, so that will be available to you.

7 hours ago, Aishagain said:

The final non-PBR version of Firestorm is 6.6.17 and that is not likely to be blocked for quite a while, so that will be available to you.

Yes I know, but no.

As i wrote in my first post in this thread:

On 6/25/2024 at 12:41 PM, Tuu Munz said:

I have had these "grey texture" problems ever since I returned to SL at the end of April after a one and a half year break. My first impression then was: what the **** have they done?

At that time, I was using version 6.6.17 of Firestorm, so it seems that these issues are already present in that version. In the PBR version, these problems just become more apparent, similar to the "official" Second Life Viewer (v. 7.1.8).

The only viewer I've tested that doesn't have these issues is Cool VL (v. 1.32.2), where textures load as they should, and the map works. However, it is not suitable for my primary use because it has other issues. Those might be solvable, but now I don't want to spend any more time adjusting settings. For as long as possible, I want to use a viewer that works without issues out of the box.

Im having a similar problem

So I’ve spent a lot of time trying to tweak the newest FS viewer, but I still have this persistent issue I didn't have before I upgraded.   It seems almost like there is a limit to how many textures will load on my viewer and once it hits the limit it won't load any more textures no matter how long I wait... this includes profile photos on any tab, huds, clothing on myself and others, trees, decor, other avis, all textures, even the little chicklet icons at the top right... It all just stays gray and won't load no matter how long I wait. It does this on low, mid or ultra, it doesn't matter.

Things Ive tried included:  rebooting, whitelisting, a second try 100% clean install and a second whitelisting, I have turned my texture cache and asset cache up all the way and have them on a fast ssd drive. The issue persists with the standard viewer too.  

System:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz, 32 GB ram, windows 10, 2tb ssd system drive with plenty of room.

NVIDEA geforce rtx 2080 8gb dedicated GPU, 

help! lol

1 hour ago, Lane Gant said:

Im having a similar problem

So I’ve spent a lot of time trying to tweak the newest FS viewer, but I still have this persistent issue I didn't have before I upgraded.   It seems almost like there is a limit to how many textures will load on my viewer and once it hits the limit it won't load any more textures no matter how long I wait... this includes profile photos on any tab, huds, clothing on myself and others, trees, decor, other avis, all textures, even the little chicklet icons at the top right... It all just stays gray and won't load no matter how long I wait. It does this on low, mid or ultra, it doesn't matter.

Things Ive tried included:  rebooting, whitelisting, a second try 100% clean install and a second whitelisting, I have turned my texture cache and asset cache up all the way and have them on a fast ssd drive. The issue persists with the standard viewer too.  

System:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz, 32 GB ram, windows 10, 2tb ssd system drive with plenty of room.

NVIDEA geforce rtx 2080 8gb dedicated GPU, 

help! lol

Help > About Firestorm

Please copy and paste the text in that window to here

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Melli Serpente said:

I don't think there is any help at the moment other than to go back to the latest viewer BEFORE the pbr version. I have encountered pretty the same issues (on a high end Mac), even with tweaked debug settings. It always helps for a short time, but at a certain moment, the viewer "refuses" to load more textures.  

Try one thing for me: check 'bandwidth' setting in Preferences > Network

Have noticed Firestorm seems to be setting this to 3000kbps, curious if this might be causing some problems. Try reducing to 1000kbps if it is set to its maximum.

15 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Try one thing for me: check 'bandwidth' setting in Preferences > Network

Have noticed Firestorm seems to be setting this to 3000kbps, curious if this might be causing some problems. Try reducing to 1000kbps if it is set to its maximum.

Thank you for the advice, but even if I change the bandwidth there is no change. The problem remains. I have to face it.. my Viewer is too lazy to load the textures. 🙃

2 hours ago, Melli Serpente said:

Thank you for the advice, but even if I change the bandwidth there is no change. The problem remains. I have to face it.. my Viewer is too lazy to load the textures. 🙃

:( seems like Mac users are having the worst time of it, I only pass on the stuff I hear and test any of it myself.