Locations where black people hang out at?

I don't care about opinions or how you feel on the subject. I just simply want to know if anyone can list locations where the population is predominately black and it isn't a XXX sim or/and is for interracial things. I see a few others asking the same thing, and it looks like it always ends up in a debate/argument over racism with no real locations mentioned. Please leave that out of this comment section, thank you!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I remember being in a bar that was full of predominantly black people, but I can't remember it's name or where it was.  But this is SL, If you can't find one, buy or rent some land and build one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steffi Kalil said:

I remember being in a bar that was full of predominantly black people, but I can't remember it's name or where it was.  But this is SL, If you can't find one, buy or rent some land and build one.

I wish it was that easy, but I don't have a lot of time to spare on SL and I'm lucky if I spend more than a 2 hours on it a week. Something like that takes management and time, things I don't have. It would be nice to log in and easily find a community, but I don't think that is an option any more, sadly.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:19 PM, Akira Bellisserian said:

I don't care about opinions or how you feel on the subject. I just simply want to know if anyone can list locations where the population is predominately black and it isn't a XXX sim or/and is for interracial things. I see a few others asking the same thing, and it looks like it always ends up in a debate/argument over racism with no real locations mentioned. Please leave that out of this comment section, thank you!

Did you try doing a search for musical genres that appeal to black people?

And then, there's me who you won't find in any clubs since the goth/industrial/noise scene in SL these days is pretty bad. What I wouldn't give for an SL version of Slimelight or the old Batcave. Anyway, I'm mostly found in stores and fantasy events.

I've been here on and off since 2005 and can't remember finding any specific hangouts for us. You could try expanding it out a bit to include larger interest and hobby groups - the fantasy roleplay scene seems fairly diverse. There's also family roleplay, which seems rather popular and active if Flickr is any indication. Art, literary, and music communities. There may also be some in the RPG, furry, sci-fi, gaming, and anime communities, much like RL.

We're a bit spread out compared to somewhere like The Sims 4 where content creators and the communities they've built are far more visible. Nothing in SL locks one into being human and quite honestly, I spend most of my time in-world as a fantasy creature, monster, or furry. Add to that that some socialization happens outside the platform on Discord and elsewhere (because handling large groups chatting at once is something SL realllllly seems to struggle with) and it can be rather difficult to meet specific types of people in-world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Wow, there's a name that brings back some very hazy and indistinct memories of a misspent youth! :D 

Those were the dayyyyyyyyyyys! I mean, minus the whole 3 hour bus ride from London back to home at 7am part. I have no idea how the hell I found the energy to do that ish. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Those were the dayyyyyyyyyyys! I mean, minus the whole 3 hour bus ride from London back to home at 7am part. I have no idea how the hell I found the energy to do that ish. 😂

Well at least if we had an SL version the commute would be less of a hassle?! 😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Well at least if we had an SL version the commute would be less of a hassle?! 😅

Omg, so right. No overheating in all that damn PVC, either. 😂

No but seriously, that scene in SL never quite worked for me. I tried so many times to get into the clubs here and the vibe was so totally different than in real life. The only club I genuinely had a really good time in here was Tropicana Salsa Ballroom, back when that was THE place to be. I don't even know if it's still around (I'm SO out of the loop), but it might be another place for the OP to try if so. Really chill vibe there back in the day at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Omg, so right. No overheating in all that damn PVC, either. 😂

No but seriously, that scene in SL never quite worked for me. I tried so many times to get into the clubs here and the vibe was so totally different than in real life. The only club I genuinely had a really good time in here was Tropicana Salsa Ballroom, back when that was THE place to be. I don't even know if it's still around (I'm SO out of the loop), but it might be another place for the OP to try if so. Really chill vibe there back in the day at least.

Exactly!  I've often wondered if the reason the BDSM scene is so popular in SL is because people can save a fortune on baby powder when dressing their avatars in PVC as opposed to wearing it IRL.

I've never really been a fan of clubs in SL.  For some reason I find the sensory overload from a crowded club in SL far more oppressive than in RL and I usually just end up chatting to one or two people in IM which kind of defeats the purpose of being in a crowded place to begin with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Exactly!  I've often wondered if the reason the BDSM scene is so popular in SL is because people can save a fortune on baby powder when dressing their avatars in PVC as opposed to wearing it IRL.

LMAO. Sounds like my first experience with latex. Thinking THAT would be a good idea to wear to an overcrowded NYC goth club with no polish (so it looked dusty AF) and omg, the sweat I sweated that night. Geeeeeeeez. Never again, what the hell?

3 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I've never really been a fan of clubs in SL.  For some reason I find the sensory overload from a crowded club in SL far more oppressive than in RL and I usually just end up chatting to one or two people in IM which kind of defeats the purpose of being in a crowded place to begin with.

Big same. It's just nothing like being inside of real life clubs at all. You can't really escape the crowd by chilling over with the DJ or hanging out with the staff (the lag and chat spam won't ever cease), can't go brood in a dark corner unseen, nobody EVER uses the bar or sits down (so unrealistic omg), gestures ruin absolutely everything. Etc. Not a fan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

LMAO. Sounds like my first experience with latex. Thinking THAT would be a good idea to wear to an overcrowded NYC goth club with no polish (so it looked dusty AF) and omg, the sweat I sweated that night. Geeeeeeeez. Never again, what the hell?

Mmmhmm, you have to wonder why people would pay good money to frequent saunas or sit in sweat boxes when they could just throw on a pvc catsuit and jump around on a dancefloor for an hour or two!?

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Big same. It's just nothing like being inside of real life clubs at all. You can't really escape the crowd by chilling over with the DJ or hanging out with the staff (the lag and chat spam won't ever cease), can't go brood in a dark corner unseen, nobody EVER uses the bar or sits down (so unrealistic omg), gestures ruin absolutely everything. Etc. Not a fan.

Absolutely, it's hard to really capture the ambience of a RL club in SL, and far more difficult to attain that state of collective effervescence that really brings a crowd of people to life (although we should probably be thankful that it's not as easy to whip people up into a frenzied mob online as it is in RL, given the darker aspects of that type of thing and where it can lead).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Absolutely, it's hard to really capture the ambience of a RL club in SL, and far more difficult to attain that state of collective effervescence that really brings a crowd of people to life (although we should probably be thankful that it's not as easy to whip people up into a frenzied mob online as it is in RL, given the darker aspects of that type of thing and where it can lead).

This is so very true. I always wondered if people who are huge fans of live music, DJs, concerts, festivals, and clubs in real life even bother with SL clubs. I'm a massive music fan across the board (everything from industrial to flamenco to Egyptian rap), but clubs in-world are the absolute last place I would think of to meet new people who shared my passion for it. 

Other interests lend themselves to virtual a bit better, like art. Doesn't quite match the experience of wandering around MOMA or taking in a rare exhibit at a tiny out of the way gallery in RL, but it's a little bit closer and feels less alien to me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This is so very true. I always wondered if people who are huge fans of live music, DJs, concerts, festivals, and clubs in real life even bother with SL clubs. I'm a massive music fan across the board (everything from industrial to flamenco to Egyptian rap), but clubs in-world are the absolute last place I would think of to meet new people who shared my passion for it. 

Other interests lend themselves to virtual a bit better, like art. Doesn't quite match the experience of wandering around MOMA or taking in a rare exhibit at a tiny out of the way gallery in RL, but it's a little bit closer and feels less alien to me.

I must say I have always found live music performances in SL quite captivating and, while it doesn't compare to the same shared experience you get from going to a gig in RL, there is still something special about getting together with a group of people in-world and listening to someone perform live.  I still wouldn't go there to socialize though since I'd rather concentrate on listening to the performer, but I guess you still have a greater chance of meeting those with similar interests while you're there. 

I've seen some really great machinima created within SL too, it would be interesting to see some talented live performers collaborating with equally talented creators to attempt a "live machinima" type production in SL, no doubt the results would either be spectacular, disastrous or quite possibly a bizarre combination of both.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I've seen some really great machinima created within SL too, it would be interesting to see some talented live performers collaborating with equally talented creators to attempt a "live machinima" type production in SL, no doubt the results would either be spectacular, disastrous or quite possibly a bizarre combination of both.

Omg, yes. Now this is the type of entertainment I'd love to see in SL.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Omg, yes. Now this is the type of entertainment I'd love to see in SL.

I guess that would explain why I'm so seldom bored since "a bizarre combination of spectacular and disastrous" is how I would characterize the majority of my attempts at social interaction in SL. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I guess that would explain why I'm so seldom bored since "a bizarre combination of spectacular and disastrous" is how I would characterize the majority of my attempts at social interaction in SL. 😅

Lol, this is an entire mood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of us just call that, "Fun"!

Perhaps my problem is I mostly seem to meet people that think I have a little too much "Fun"?! 😅

That's my RL experience!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's my RL experience!

Same!

It's weird how so many people will complain about how they don't have any fun but then turn around and get offended when they see fun happening right in front of them!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

There is a lot of white people commenting on this post.. : )

Well... it's a bit of "what if" ... but indeed what if a caucasian asked for a block on non caucasian answers in a forumpost?... we'd be on 60 pages of damnations in a hour.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1