You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

That's the part that squicks me. There's a huge difference from a DJ being able to see an IP addy from having it stored and linked to your AV name by someone I frankly do not trust to continue to 'do the right thing'.

Like Banlink, it can be used to grief. Don't like someone? Add them to the linked system as a griefer.

Plus anyone that uses it adds people to the database just by the nature of it scraping -everyone- that passes by.

Stores and clubs that use it should be outed. I mean then at least their clientele can make an informed choice about their patronage.

I avoid places that use that company's sploder.  It's merely a traffic device and often catches new residents unaware.  They may not understand how it all works and end up doing something wrong and then find themselves banned from more than one place.  They often come here upset wondering what happened.  Not a very noob friendly welcome to people just trying to win a few Ls.  

We do need our own database for places that use the security and sploder.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, Rick Nightingale said:

This topic has been discussed a lot... search the forum :)

In short...

There is only one way for someone other than LL (they know all) to (1) get your IP address and (2) try to use that to match an alt using the same IP address. That way is...

When you view media. When you view streaming media (like the music played in a parcel, or viewing any live video stream or music stream at a club for instance) then the server streaming that can get your IP address. It has to, that's how it sends your PC the stream.

That could be correlated against avatars in the region where the stream is playing, and potentially then the two things (IP address and avatar) can be linked. Including then linking another avatar with the same IP address if it listens to the same stream (server).

However... it's extremely unlikely that some random person in SL has access to the streaming server, and is logging IPs, and comparing them to avatars in the region.

Let me say that again...

it's extremely unlikely that some random person in SL has access to the streaming server, and is logging IPs, and comparing them to avatars in the region.

It has been done in the past by someone selling such services; it didn't last long because even LL took a dim view of that.

Note that the above does not necessarily mean the person (DJ, for instance) controlling the stream actually has access to IPs anyway. Most of them rent a streaming service; only the service itself would be able to have that access, and privacy laws prevent much abuse.

Remember also that IP addresses change; sometimes every time you reconnect your modem, sometimes rarely, but that is why it's rarely relied on as a means of ID except by police forensics who have access to your ISP's allocation logs.

Did I say that it is extremely unlikely that some random SL user is doing this?

All true, then they ask you to go to discord and your  IP is for all to see. I believe.  

9 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

All true, then they ask you to go to discord and your  IP is for all to see. I believe.  

How is that?  If this is true, then that would explain when I confronted my stalker in world why he wanted to go to discord.  I've always thought discord was secure enough that it protected your IP address, but I wasn't sure enough to go with him to discord.   I made him keep his conversation with me in SL.

He wouldn't have gotten anything anyway.  I've been using a vpn for years for just such issues.  Some whack job getting my ipaddress and then geolocating my RL location.  

Edited by Madi Melodious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.