Updater script using llRemoteLoadScriptPin

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make an updater object for one of my product.
The product itself consists of different objects rezzed around the sim, and when there is a new update, I don't want the users to have to delete every single of these objects manually to replace them with the new version, hence the "updater" object.

So, using llRemoteLoadScriptPin I can update the script in all of these objects, but as soon as I give the object to someone else (the object becomes NO MOD), the updater object stops working for the new owner. (Probably because the owner of the updater object NEEDS to have mod rights on the target object).

Would there be any other way of doing it ?
It would be so nice to be able to fetch an entire script from a web server.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Best regards

18 minutes ago, OdessaDraekavik said:

Would there be any other way of doing it ?

Either your object (but not the scripts inside) needs to have next-owner mod-perms, or you're limited to updates which don't change the scripts themselves. Ergo, global variable/linkset data changes or doing most of the 'heavy lifting' of your application on some external web-server.

Or, perhaps your updater could just rez an updated copy where the old version was and tell the old version to delete itself.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

17 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Or, perhaps your updater could just rez an updated copy where the old version was and tell the old version to delete itself.

That sounds scary, though.

It wouldn't be an option at all if the objects were modifiable, so deleting one could destroy customer content it contains or links to or is painted on its side, all assuming the customer hadn't locked the thing, defeating the whole process.

But even no-mod, the object could be known by its UUID to other customer content, such as particle beams.

Then there's Land Impact: the replacement must have no greater LI than the one its replacing, and only rez after the old one is deleted, freeing-up the LI for that replacement. Even so, if I tried this, somebody would have a script rezzing up to parcel capacity the instant any becomes available.

The really sad part is that the other alternative, updating through remotely supplied object parameters, got significantly nerfed with mesh, whereas before a script could change any object into any other object of the same or fewer links (at least).

• Thanks 1