Photographing Avatars

You have to get the permission of the sim owner and the avatars that would be on video. You don't have to do the same for still photography in a public location.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Added "in a public location"

From the SL wiki:

Snapshots or video

Screenshots or video taken without permission, in an area where Residents reasonably expect privacy, might violate Linden Lab's rules against disclosure; or, more generally, might constitute harassment. To be safe, be sure to get explicit permission from anyone you photograph or record.

See also Snapshot and machinima policy.

• Thanks 3

Always check the land covenant. Often there will be a no video/photography restriction. I always check before I film a video on someone else's sim. I personally do not allow video recording of dance concerts or live music events without my permission. I also do not allow photography without my permission and permission of every avatar at the event that will be in the photograph. Unfortunately, some inappropriate guests have taken "up the skirt" pics of avatars and posted them to FB. To protect my guests and performers this experience has changed my guidelines. I also have a NO NUDITY/NO NUDE PHOTOGRAPHY restriction in my 1)land covenant, in the 2)local greeter message, in 3)my profile and in the 4)menu given guidelines. Recently a photographer ignored all four postings regarding dress code, went ahead and photographed a nude model on my land. Both he and the model posted the pictures to Flickr. They were notified of the violation, reported and are now banned from the sim, permanently. I consider that a violation of my land covenant and also highly disrespectful to my vision for my performing arts center. There are many places to get naked in SL and my theatre land is not one of them. 

• Like 2