Solve for "Dark Build" post-PBR - Just add Local Lights?!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was going to try and find the "fix" for when a legacy build gets "totally dark inside" with PBR.

I thought that maybe you need to setup some fancy lighting, reflection probes to make it look nice, etc.

But..just adding local lights does the trick, apparently?

Please help me understand! What is the right answer?

Thanks,

Love

Sorry, will post pics across a few posts...

Build in full "Midday":

image.thumb.png.c1534c6510ad4a8549b768cbdd1d3742.png

When it's dark, switch the lights on. It's what we usually do, right. 😇

A single local light set up as a projector can lit an entire room quite nicely actually. But setting up a couple of small light pockets is fun anyways.
Especially when you have reflection probe/s as well with some additional ambiance. Personally I have linked a reflection probe to the ceiling lamp. When I switch the ceiling lamp off, the reflection probes ambiance is set to 10.0 by script. To amplify the residual light there is. And when I switch the ceiling lamp on, ambiance is set to 2.5.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

When it's dark, switch the lights on. It's what we usually do, right. 😇

A single local light set up as a projector can lit an entire room quite nicely actually. But setting up a couple of small light pockets is fun anyways.
Especially when you have reflection probe/s as well with some additional ambiance. Personally I have linked a reflection probe to the ceiling lamp. When I switch the ceiling lamp off, the reflection probes ambiance is set to 10.0 by script. To amplify the residual light there is. And when I switch the ceiling lamp on, ambiance is set to 2.5.

I had to use one local light in each corner of the room for this size build.

Thanks for the advice on ceiling lights and reflection probes! Note that there's really no residual light at midnight, that picture just shows the awful default art with its fullbright settings.

I want to give the other option a try, though! I didn't think to put the light IN the RP!

5 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

These fullbright objects will be picked up by a reflection probe as well.

I need to check if it lets me replace that art, and hopefully edit "off" the fullbright. I don't like the initial effect, can't imagine it's better when picked up by an RP!

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I need to check if it lets me replace that art, and hopefully edit "off" the fullbright.

Kinda fits the style of the room, though. Nostalic pre-mesh furniture with pose balls.

There has to be some fullbright flowers! 💯

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Kinda fits the style of the room, though. Nostalic pre-mesh furniture with pose balls.

There has to be some fullbright flowers! 💯

It turned out the art was not editable (or movable). 

I can "cover" it with different prims / art.

Not sure what makes it so "bright", it does not actually seem to "give off" light.  Is that due to "fullbright"?

7 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Yep! The more common term is emissive. Which is what it's called in the PBR material. Technically it's the same thing though.

Right. Only light sources should be emissive. Use for lighted signs, neon, and such. Otherwise, avoid, unless you really want glow-in-the-dark effects.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.