How to 'disappear' an avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Often when turning avatars into something else it is necessary to make them disappear.

Putting them in certain poses, hiding them underground by repositioning animations, adding transparencies are all techniques I have used, but all have their drawbacks.

I have seen some objects that make an avatar disappear without removing their clothing and attachments or putting them underground or in a certain pose. I think for example that Silenced and Void both use this technique in their latest products. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it myself. I believe it is some secret hack and not a legitimate scripting function.

Does anyone know the secret to do this and can enlighten me?

Thank you so much!

RobotGirl x

• Like 1

No idea what those products are or what they do, but I probably wouldn't invest too much effort in emulating it because there's a new feature coming soon that should make it obsolete. This cribbed from Inara Pey's indispensable Modemworld blog (emphasis mine) :

llSetLinkSitFlags/llGetLinkSitFlags – allow you to adjust the sit flags for a prim. It supports the existing two SIT_FLAG_ALLOW_UNSIT and SCRIPT_ONLY.

• At some future point, SIT_FLAG_HIDE_AVATAR should also be added, so you don’t need to play an animation that squishes the avatar so they aren’t visible in something like a very small vehicle.

I guess that assumes you can seat the to-be-hidden avatar. And I presume it doesn't hide the nametag (customarily a griefer exclusive).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RobotGirlOwnedAndControlled said:

or putting them underground or in a certain pose.

All the ones I've seen are of this variant, but they can be ~very clever about not making the position obvious.

If you have such a device, write a simple particle script that sends a beam from an attachment to a known object in-world (a 'leash' should work, but make sure it's from a different device than the one that's doing the hiding). That may make the hidden position more obvious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.