mysterious mesh edges

vanettda Lassard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am creating new topology (by hand) for a dragon skull. The skull has an inside wall and an outside wall. While in Edit mode, everything looks fine(fine-ish, I still working on the actual design) but when I swap back to object mode the topology becomes distorted. I have deleted the offending faces to show what I'm working with and these three edges show up but only in object mode. 

I've been beating my head for a day and can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.49.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.49.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.56.20 AM.png

2 hours ago, vanettda Lassard said:

I have deleted the offending faces to show what I'm working with and these three edges show up but only in object mode. 

If edges are showing in object mode but not in edit mode perhaps in edit mode, you have accidentally hidden (H key) a part of the mesh ?

In edit mode does Alt + H to unhide change anything?

Best is, if you can share that part of your model so that we can have a better look :)

Edited by Aquila Kytori

Something is definitely "not right" in that problematic area. If you look carefully you can see that it is not smooth as it should be. We can't see that part from your photos but if you look closely at those vertices you may be able to find the problem. You could also -- if you cannot see the issue delete the faces that aren't working properly and start over.  

I am a "box modeler" and I am guessing you built this in a different manner so beyond that I can't help :D

image.png.708d15e45c41ec8962255e9bfcca7e55.png

Adding on after looking at the other shot. 

image.png.e89abde00321105ff045a1f9e6988ad0.png

You have a lot of vertices that look like they are not connected . Those may be even more pronounced on the part that isn't showing up.  

Edited by Chic Aeon

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Something is definitely "not right" in that problematic area. If you look carefully you can see that it is not smooth as it should be. We can't see that part from your photos but if you look closely at those vertices you may be able to find the problem. You could also -- if you cannot see the issue delete the faces that aren't working properly and start over.  

I am a "box modeler" and I am guessing you built this in a different manner so beyond that I can't help :D

image.png.708d15e45c41ec8962255e9bfcca7e55.png

Adding on after looking at the other shot. 

image.png.e89abde00321105ff045a1f9e6988ad0.png

You have a lot of vertices that look like they are not connected . Those may be even more pronounced on the part that isn't showing up.  

I have deleted faces to show the underlying geometry. The actual object has inner and outer walls (an inside of the skull and the outside) All the vents are connected and I have merged by distance to eliminate duplicates. I have deleted and rebuilt the affected faces of  the nose multiple times. it still comes out the same. Also the verts in edit mode do not correspond to what we see in object mode. When I select object mode (as seen in the picture) there are edges that form a Y on both the inside and outside. but back in edit mode there are no such edges. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

If edges are showing in object mode but not in edit mode perhaps in edit mode, you have accidentally hidden (H key) a part of the mesh ?

In edit mode does Alt + H to unhide change anything?

Best is, if you can share that part of your model so that we can have a better look :)

Thank you! That worked. I appreciate it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.