Second Life Viewer messed up. PLEASE HELP!!!

CarloLaCroix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday i was online and all of a sudden my computer told me i have a threat from second life. The threat was removed and now the media plugin could not be found, so i cant stream any videos in SL. Now when i uninstalled the program and during reinstallation at the end it gave me another threat and could not reinstall the viewer. Please help. 

CarloLaCroix wrote:

Is the threat i received a fake?

Some executables get mistakenly flagged as trojans and whatnot by virus detectors. Also if you have a firewall built into it, attempts to communicate to and from your computer on what are considered non standard TCP ports, as well as transmissions via UDP, are frowned on by default settings on most firewalls, since default is to block everything except known ports like 80, 53, 443, 110, and 25.

What you can do to counter that is to either put your firewall program in learning mode, start SL or its install program, and then okay it when it is detected and flagged. Otherwise you can go directly into your port mapping or policy settings and manually add secondlife.exe and SLVoice.exe to the list of acceptable programs, over applicable ports.

This should help hopefully! :womanhappy:

It sounds like you might need to do a complete uninstall first, and clean up any left over files.  If you are unsure about this then hopefully someone will come along to tell you how to do this as I'm a bit unclear on exactly which files you will need to mop up manually and how to find them on various computers/Operating Systems

In the meantime, you could post your computer type/OS here so that people can give you specific instructions to help you find the stray files you will need to locate and uninstall so you can do a clean install.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.