viewer on-screen effects

xJoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for help on a script for when an item is attached it causes the player’s viewer screen to change effect for example it could make the vision pixelated or flashing of colors and to also animate the avatar. I thought it was thru cam params but i dont think its that. was also told its a particle based script that attaches as a temp invisible hud to user’s screen. My goal is to create fun effects to make you feel like your avatar is hallucinating or high any help is appreciated. at least to know what type of script i should be looking at

• Like 1

My Eldritch Haze items (not for sale) do that, and even have auditory effects only the affected avatar can hear. The whole idea is to create an experience that only the affected avatar is having, so you'd want to look at what can do that.

Easiest way to pull that off (in my experience) is to use animated textures, transparency levels, and layers. Each linked layer is a flat prim, and is rotated differently, so the animated oozing phosphene effects go in different directions per layer.

Attach it to the HUD center, and make sure it covers the entire viewscreen. As for sounds, well, llPlaySound() works differently than llTriggerSound() in attachments. This should be investigated.

The only drawback is that having it attached limits their ability to interact with objects by clicking on them, as the HUD attachment is in the way, but then, when they're descending into madness for a few hours they wouldn't be as able to interact with things, anyway. You can set it to fade in slowly, then fade out and detach as they "come down", even.

Fading can be done by, over time, reducing or increasing the alpha opacity. If you set any variable to hold this value, using a float instead of an integer helps a lot with this, as you can use decimal points to fade by barely-noticeable degrees.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, xJoni said:

vision pixelated

That's a RLV-specific thing that changes a debug setting, llOwnerSay("@setdebug_renderresolutiondivisor:8=force"); where 8 is the amount of pixelation.

Some combination of environment lighting settings can make a 'trippy' atmosphere. play with your personal environment settings, then see llSetAgentEnvironment

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

The only drawback is that having it attached limits their ability to interact with objects by clicking on them,

Very recently, llSetClickAction(CLICK_ACTION_IGNORE); was introduced, which fixes that exact problem: when CLICK_ACTION_IGNORE is set, clicking behaves as if the object which ran the command doesn't exist. (I haven't tried it though, not sure how it interacts with right-clicking)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.