Window top bar colour

Clakar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 93 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anybody know how to change the color of the top bar on the firestorm window.  I have my actual PC desktop as jet black for simplicity on the eye and wanted to match it by changing the top bar to the same color.  (i.e. the bit above the advanced menu).

Not a major question but cool if it can be done.

Thank you in advance.

Like for all viewers, via the ”MenuBar*BgColor” entries (there are several, the two of interest to normal users being ”MenuBarBgColor” for the main grid and ”MenuNonProductionBgColor” for the beta grid), in the colors.xml file (or colors_base.xml for v1 viewers) present in the folder for the skin you are using (e.g. skins/default/colors.xml for the default skin, in the viewer installation folder).

It is normally also possible to override that colors.xml file instead of modifying the one in the installation directory (which would get overwritten on viewer update), by copying it into the application local data directory and modifying it to your heart's comptempt, but the exact override file location depends on the viewer and OS (ask in Firestorm's support group)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Like for all viewers, via the ”MenuBar*Color” entries (there are several, the two of interest to normal users being ”MenuBarBgColor” for the main grid and ”MenuNonProductionBgColor” for the beta grid), in the colors.xml file (or colors_base.xml for v1 viewers) present in the folder for the skin you are using (e.g. skins/default/colors.xml for the default skin, in the viewer installation folder).

It is normally also possible to override that colors.xml file instead of modifying the one in the installation directory, by copying it into the application local data directory, but the exact location depends on the viewer and OS (ask in Firestorm's support group)...

I think he means the actual window title bar instead of the top-menu UI.

Now I'm kinda miffed that the viewer doesn't follow the Dark Mode color scheme (OS-level setting). 😋

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I think he means the actual window title bar instead of the top-menu UI.

I wonder. That seems a good interpretation of "the bit above the advanced menu" but at least for me on Windows 11, Firestorm's title bar follows the account's desktop setting for window in focus (and its own menu bar is extremely dark on either grid), so I'm not sure what the OP is seeing.

On the other hand, fewer and fewer windows actually have a standard title bar, so it may be surprising to see one. Everybody is using that title bar real estate for themselves: Chrome, Thunderbird, Windows PowerShell, etc. have their own controls in place of the title bar.

Edited by Qie Niangao
ThunderBIRD, dammit, not Thunderstorm. (And come to think of it, why isn't Firebird a viewer?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 93 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.