Creating a landscape on a platform

Dawn Feiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to create hilly terrain on a platform instead of the landscape just being flat.  We have tried to do something with sculpted prims but they are not big enough and it is not possible to walk on the land - either walk through them when they are phantom or if not then walk above them.  I am aware you can place ordinary prims in the sculpted prims and then walk on them but the prims are still too small.  I would like to know if it is possible to buy a terrain already made for a platform or if it is possible to get someone to make one to order?

4 answers to this question

You can buy terrain, for sure. Whether you can find some specifically for a platform or not, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure they will have the same issues you found, however, or they will be made using more prims/sculpties to make them possible to walk on properly. (If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone corrects me.)

- Luc -

Ah, you can use megaprims with sculpts. They are limited in some ways though, and you will not be able to walk on them and will have to make them phantom and put in prims to walk on and then maybe make those prims (if they are not all beneith the sculpt hidden) invisable with the 'default transparent.' texture in your library.

You can even get magaprims that are 1024 meters, a sim is only 256 meterx256, so these can make a vast lanscape out over where you would normally have sky or water! I do not know where to buy these, but have seen them, as well as smaller ones that go off to one side! They can really make a space feel bigger, imho. If you match you interior ones, carefully cover up the sculpt edges of you land bits (if you have any, you can use a 256x256 megaprim BUT you might not like the texturing, it can get blurry...I know this from making stuff on the beta grid) and it might all work out very detailed and wonderful. But, yeah you use up prims to walk on. You can always throw in a few megaprims here and there, but remember that megaprims are not resizable and will shrink back when you try ot change them! You can make holes in some or do edge cutting etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.