Second Life Viewer 7.0.1.6894459864 - Lighting Issue?

Ajay McDowwll

The PBR viewer is consistently too dark when I login. I fix it by going to World>Environment>Personal Lighting and changing the Ambient color from black to medium grey

22 minutes ago, Kit Young said:

The PBR viewer is consistently too dark when I login. I fix it by going to World>Environment>Personal Lighting and changing the Ambient color from black to medium grey

That's kinda the hard way to do it and defeats environments that have optimized for PBR. Maybe try cranking up Preferences / Graphics / "Brightness (exposure)" so you don't have to use personal lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, Ajay McDowwll said:

Regarding the latest SL viewer, I'm having an... is it an aesthetics problem?  A photography problem?  Although it happens regardless of whether or not I'm taking a picture.  To the point, my avatar's hair is a very light color, and when I turn off all SL lighting and use a lighting prim instead, my hair goes dark in the PBR viewer.  It's like how lights affected it in the older system, but worse, and angle doesn't appear to change it.

Is there a workaround?  I'm just wondering if this is the new normal or if there's a fix in the works, or a way to work with the lighting of which I'm not yet aware.

Non-PBR Viewer (Firestorm Viewer 6.6.16.70339):

Non-PBRSelfieFirestormViewer6.6_16.70339.jpg.113ba2ad73e2e1a01b10ad368b4e9e07.jpg

PBR Viewer (Second Life Viewer 7.0.1.6894459864😞

PBRSelfieSLViewer7.0.1.6894459864.jpg.b178e99f6f06254779fe2c35546b9b3f.jpg

These are taken in the same place, same lighting (no light), same lighting source (light prim), same light intensity/ radius/ falloff/ color.  I like the detail in the PBR photo along with the fact that I'd not have to edit the brightness in post-processing, but the haircolor is a full-stop.  I'm aware we're all moving to PBR, so I was wondering if there's going to be some sort of fix or workaround for this, because lighter hair in SL is hardly uncommon.

If I should have posted elsewhere, please let me know.  Thank you.

I'm having the same issue as you, unfortunately.

Photo taken by me with no PBR:

hair.jpg.a6c26e7e5aa061b6d149319b9e6e3eb3.jpg

Photo taken by a friend with PBR:

whitehair.jpg.049477bc49e310de5cbd9c5677c81133.jpg\

Same hair, same exact color. But for some reason the tinted shade disappears, and it looks white on the PBR viewer.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1