macOS arm64 build for running natively on Apple Silicon Macs

Erik Kundiman

On 2/7/2024 at 2:31 PM, Gaxtrope said:

Why LL have not seized this obvious optimization opportunity a long time ago themselves. But then again I found Rez files in the repo, which harkens back to the time when we had resource forks in our filesystems, so priorities/resources must be somewhere else.

The Mac viewer has never been of any priority for LL. It has merely been a tick off item to attract a certain group of creative users that can contribute to the SecondLife economy; users who will not switch to Windows. 

Granted, Apple's systems has historically had weak graphics performance with a lot of Apple specific idiosyncrasies, so that has not encouraged LL to do much more than minimum effort to make something running. – Which is why the codebase is at it is. 😐

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A bunch of cleanups of unused code including macOS Rez files have now been merged into the Maintenance-A branch, as well as whole scale conversion of BOOL/TRUE/FALSE, most of it by Ansariel. Boost is slowly getting replaced by its C++17 counterparts elsewhere, so... it's moving forward, albeit slowly.
Once we have it merged, I'm planning to persuade LL into making an Apple Silicon build - the main challenge is that this needs to be done for all the 3rd party libraries as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gaxtrope said:

2010, more likely. It'll still be the OpenGL 4.1 driver until that part is updated too.

eew

19 hours ago, Gaxtrope said:

2010, more likely. It'll still be the OpenGL 4.1 driver until that part is updated too.

Why do you think OpenGL is going to be updated. 

Apple has explicitly deprecated OpenGL and will NOT update it ever again. It will be removed from system service the minute they stop supporting Intel based Macs (which might even happen this fall, but more likely in 2025)

Edited by Gavin Hird

Great work, seeing about 60% more frames on my M2 Ultra too.

I imagine Gaxtrope is referring "that part" being updated to MoltenVK or similar, not the driver.

Edited by Z Onyx
  • Like 2