Notecard permissions.

Fox Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hiya! 

Is there any way to make a notecard that is COPY but NO trans / NO mod and isn't readable? I recall seeing notecards that say you don't have permission to do this when you try and open them, but is that just if they are transfer/no mod/no copy? 

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a very blonde question, I've been going in circles with today. 

3 answers to this question

If you own the notecard, you can always read it. The "you do not have permission to view this notecard" message is only shown if you're trying to read a notecard you don't own, for example in someone else's object.

What are you trying to do? If you want a scripted object to read a notecard without the owner being able to see the notecard.. you can read notecards by their UUID, the notecard doesn't have to be in the same inventory as the script.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If you own the notecard, you can always read it.

Not quite true, a notecard needs to have the copy permission to be readable (and since you have to have either +copy or +trans, you can't make it not transferable while being unreadable).

This does not prevent you from putting it inside an object and having a script read it for you, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frionil Fang said:

This does not prevent you from putting it inside an object and having a script read it for you, though.

Scripts are easily discouraged, though, by notecards with embedded contents.

But I'm with Wulfie: what are we trying to do with this unreadable notecard anyway? If nobody can read it, not even a script, then I guess its only utility would be as a token of its very ownership, but if you can't transfer it, I'm not seeing how that would be demonstrated. 

I guess if a notecard is inside a no-mod object and the notecard is no-copy then you couldn't get it within range of one's own script to read it: you couldn't add a reader script to the no-mod object, nor remove the no-copy notecard from that no-mod object in order to put it in another object with a reader.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.