One fat pack - multiple saved variations?

StarlaDark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's say i bought a fatpack of some pants - and there's an associated HUD that lets me change colors etc.

I'd like to create an outfit using the black pants.

then, i'd like to create an outfit using the blue pants while still keeping the other outfit with the black pants.

Is this possible?

In other words, with all the variations available to me in a HUD, can i make and save multiple outfits using different HUD options such as color?

If so, how is this done?

Thank you in advance for any help!

I don't see why not, as long as the item is copy.

I do this with hair all the time. I just copy the hairstyle and wear it, wear the HUD and change the color, and then pop the style into a subfolder with the color name (or avatar name, as I also do this with resizing).

Then when you create your outfits, just make sure you're wearing the right copy.

• Like 2

Yes if the item is copy (most things are) just copy it, use the HUD to set the color and maybe store it in a separate folder, I often make "Modded" or whatever subfolders in the item folder that I have made with certain color variations etc. Then your outfit can just use the copy of the object and the color will be whatever you set it as.

You don't need to copy the HUD as well, it will work on any copy of the item you make.

I use subfolders because a lot of no-mod items don't let you rename them (annoying) but this workaround helps me not get mixed up.

Side tip: if you ever buy a mini-pack of clothes and you find that the color it shows up as on first wear is different to the ones available in your HUD then store away a copy of it before you use the HUD, this often lets you have white or black in addition to whatever mini-pack of colors you bought :). I see this with some brands and it's always nice when it happens.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

@DarkStarry I do this with most of my outfits.  So my dress folders look something like this:

˅ My HOT Dress (folder)
  ˃White (folder)
  ˃Red (folder)
  ˃Teal (folder)
  ■ Dress (this is the original dress item)
  ■ HUD (Color and style HUD)

When I start an outfit I put on the original dress item and HUD. Once I have the color set and the outfit mostly as I want it, I'll detach the HUD and Dress. Then I copy the dress to an appropriately named folder within the dress's folder and wear/add it back to the outfit. Next time I want a white version of the dress, it is there. Also I never change the color of the dress copies. Only the original which never ends up in an outfit.

On a technical level, all items in SL have parameters and attributes. You can see the collection of those parameters and attributes in the Build Panel if you edit the item. Those parameters and attributes are saved with the item when it is returned to inventory. So when you change the dress item to white and detach it, the white color attribute is saved with the item. When I make a copy of the dress the system also copies the white color attribute. I have two identical items. One goes in a folder to remain UNCHANGED and be used with the outfit. The other one remains in the "base" folder to be changed as needed without affecting my other outfits.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.