I need help with Blender export for rigged mesh

OathMusic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically this is the Male_2016_08_05.dae   reference file given in the documentation for second life
If I upload the file I directly downloaded  it doesn't have these deform issues. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Bento_Resources_and_Information (collada human male)
However when Import that file into blender, then export it  sl+opensim rigged  dae.. I get all these strange deformations when uploading to SL.

I'm sure this is a simple fix  and I need to tick a box somewhere, but I'm stumped.  Any Ideas? 

Dafug.png

Edited by OathMusic

6 hours ago, OathMusic said:

Modified mesh, tried different weight paints, tried different topology. 

It's true, the bind information will have to be loaded onto the joints.  Blender has a hack to do this, so that you can export the mesh with that same information.  Other 3d applications don't need this hack, Blender wasn't built to honor scaled joint data, among other things, though this is the way it imports the mesh in order to get the correct view.  Don't sneeze on it though, it's very sensitive and the joints cannot be altered with any expectation of correctness.

If you really want to understand the "ins and outs" of this you can contact me in-world, but I suspect you would be very bored with the details.  I'm also here if you need some guidance but I won't have a detailed discussion on forums.

I'm BinBash Resident .

\o

2 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Turn on the "Include Joint Positions" option

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Turn on the "Include Joint Positions" option when you upload. At least, that made it work for me. You shouldn't have to do this, but there are clearly bones in that armature that aren't where SL expects them.

Thanks so much both of you. Very helpful. 

4 hours ago, BinBash said:

It's true, the bind information will have to be loaded onto the joints.  Blender has a hack to do this, so that you can export the mesh with that same information.  Other 3d applications don't need this hack, Blender wasn't built to honor scaled joint data, among other things, though this is the way it imports the mesh in order to get the correct view.  Don't sneeze on it though, it's very sensitive and the joints cannot be altered with any expectation of correctness.

If you really want to understand the "ins and outs" of this you can contact me in-world, but I suspect you would be very bored with the details.  I'm also here if you need some guidance but I won't have a detailed discussion on forums.

I'm BinBash Resident .

\o

UPDATE PROGRESS! : Okay so based on the information you guys reported. I realized , it was the way I was importing the Male_2016_08_05  Into Blender to begin with that was causing the problems.  And then All I have to do is export as a regular old dae and things seem to be working fine.. Hopefully everything from here on out will be smooth sailing, fingers crossed. 

Massive Progress.png

19 hours ago, animats said:

What's the best current info for someone who wants to make basic mesh clothing? Are there free Blender models for basic shirts, dresses, pants, etc. that can be modified? Or do you have to get Marvelous Designer and do it from scratch?

To my knowledge, there's no official (or even unofficial) Blender-only setups that can be used to at least do a quick export/import to SL.

While the wiki has files for the base avatar, they're not specifically made for Blender (it's a Collada, not a Blend file), which you have to import properly to Blender and then doesn't include any example rigged attachments.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

When making your own clothes models, the best approach is to acquire the model or dev kit for the mesh body you're making clothes for. Then you can fit your clothes to it properly, as well as transfer weights from it so your clothes animate identically and respond the same way to shape sliders.

If you're making clothes for the default SL avatar, be advised that even rigging to Fitted Mesh bones will not let your clothes conform exactly to body sliders, especially at extreme values. They're a kludge that LL invented to try to wedge support for body shapes into mesh clothes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.