Blue box objects for inventory disappeared with crash before acceptance, how to get'em back?

LeandraStarchaser

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all. Right, straight to the point then. I use firestorm viewer.  I had logged in and saw that I had popup windows with objects in small blue boxes however, I did not get a chance to click on them because I crashed, and all the boxes have now disappeared. Is there any way to get these objects back? please help if you can.

Edited by LeandraStarchaser

7 answers to this question

Assuming you mean the blue dialog - no, there's no universal way to get that back. When it's closed, it's gone.

If there is a way to get it back, you need to know what exactly it was and go from there.

For example, it could've been an update notification from one of your attachments. In that case it might show up again later. It could've been something someone sent you while you were offline, in which case it'll be somewhere in your inventory regardless.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Assuming you mean the blue dialog - no, there's no universal way to get that back. When it's closed, it's gone.

If there is a way to get it back, you need to know what exactly it was and go from there.

For example, it could've been an update notification from one of your attachments. In that case it might show up again later. It could've been something someone sent you while you were offline, in which case it'll be somewhere in your inventory regardless.

thank you for the help. Guess I am out of luck then. Dang the crashes of firestorm. 

6 hours ago, LeandraStarchaser said:

popup windows with objects in small blue boxes

What exactly do you mean by this? The blue popup windows are notifications, not objects. Notifications can be sent by objects, like "Nefarious Device owned by Lindal Kidd is requesting permission to take L$ from you. Allow/Block?" If you get notices like that, be very careful about clicking "allow" or "accept".

Some objects or HUDs worn by others attempt to crash you by making hundreds of these notices pop up in a short time period, overloading your viewer. Firestorm can be set to limit the number of notices it will accept in a short time period which will keep such attacks from working.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:36 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

What exactly do you mean by this? The blue popup windows are notifications, not objects. Notifications can be sent by objects, like "Nefarious Device owned by Lindal Kidd is requesting permission to take L$ from you. Allow/Block?" If you get notices like that, be very careful about clicking "allow" or "accept".

Some objects or HUDs worn by others attempt to crash you by making hundreds of these notices pop up in a short time period, overloading your viewer. Firestorm can be set to limit the number of notices it will accept in a short time period which will keep such attacks from working.

the pop-up windows I am talking about were from stores that had objects in them that needed to be clicked on, however, I had crashed before I could click on it, and I lost the blue popup windows.

@LeandraStarchaser If you crashed before you accepted the purchase being sent then unfortunately you cannot get that prompt asking you to accept the item back again.  If the store has a Redelivery terminal then you should try that as your first place to go.  Your purchase will be registered and can be obtained from there.  Failing that contact the owner of the shop, tell them what happened and ask them to redeliver it.  If it was a no-copy item then you probably will be out of luck because customers generally only get one copy of those per purchase.

You might want to consider turning on the option to automatically accept new inventory items which will cure this problem and I have never lost a delivered item this way because it doesn't rely on the viewer actually running to accept items.

To do this:

On Firestorm, go to Settings and under the General tab there is an option called  "Automatically accept new inventory items", make sure that is ticked.
On the official viewer it is accessed via a debug setting called "AutoAcceptNewInventory" (read here on how to enable and access debug settings: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Torley_Linden/Debug_Settings) and you should set that to "True".

Auto-accepting items this way can never do any harm except that if you don't keep an eye on what's automatically accepted then you can end up with a lot of unsolicited junk in your inventory.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

@LeandraStarchaser If you crashed before you accepted the purchase being sent then unfortunately you cannot get that prompt asking you to accept the item back again.  If the store has a Redelivery terminal then you should try that as your first place to go.  Your purchase will be registered and can be obtained from there.  Failing that contact the owner of the shop, tell them what happened and ask them to redeliver it.  If it was a no-copy item then you probably will be out of luck because customers generally only get one copy of those per purchase.

You might want to consider turning on the option to automatically accept new inventory items which will cure this problem and I have never lost a delivered item this way because it doesn't rely on the viewer actually running to accept items.

To do this:

On Firestorm, go to Settings and under the General tab there is an option called  "Automatically accept new inventory items", make sure that is ticked.
On the official viewer it is accessed via a debug setting called "AutoAcceptNewInventory" (read here on how to enable and access debug settings: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Torley_Linden/Debug_Settings) and you should set that to "True".

Auto-accepting items this way can never do any harm except that if you don't keep an eye on what's automatically accepted then you can end up with a lot of unsolicited junk in your inventory.

Hope this helps.

thank you so much for that information. it was a big help.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 6:53 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

Not directly, no. As long as objects are simply in your inventory, they are harmless. However, some objects are NOT harmless if rezzed, such as sim-wide, self replicating particle poofers, or the "ExDepart" type of items that run off and hide and send out "gift" offers to everyone in the region, or objects that request access to your account.

So if you choose to have your viewer auto-accept items, be careful when you rez or wear them. In fact, be careful of rezzing or wearing anything unsolicited that you receive, whether or not it was auto-accepted.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.