planar more lag than default?

Jimpsky Rhode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An inworld scripting instructor told me that planar is slightly more laggy than default. As this was authorative advice I tired using default where ever I could for the sake of getting into good optimising practices.

Recently it dawned on me that this might be incorrect lol. SO I started asking around and no one seems to know for certain.

If there's no difference I would rather freely use planar :D

N.B No guesses please

I'm not sure it's a scripting question, but, for what it's worth, the instructor's contention sounds highly unlikely to me since the load on the sim of delivering the texture is going to be the same.   There's an extra calculation to be somewhere once, I guess, but I can't see that making a significant difference to anyone.   Certainly I'd be far more worried about the sizes of the textures I was using, and how many different ones I used,  than about whether they were planar or default.    

Did your instructor explain what he or she meant by the term "lag" in this context, and how was the instructor measuring it?   The term is so broadly used as to be pretty meaningless without some sort of qualification.     

Hi, there is a little extra viewer work to render planar mapped textures but it is a very small difference. It usually will not be enough to notice. ARC is not a very good measure of much, but it assigns 4 points for alpha and one for planar, so even the ARC police do not think much of it. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.