Combat gaming

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can remember the moment like it was yesterday. I was sitting and I was coding the game, and I had a warrior with a sword, and there was a skeleton on the other side of the screen. I’d been working on this code to make characters move smoothly, doing a whole bunch of testing, and we’d talked about how the controls would work.

We wanted it to be visceral. Click and swing, click and swing. We wanted it to automatically happen: if you clicked on the monster, your character would go over there and swing.

I remember very vividly: I clicked on the monster, the guy walked over, and he smashed this skeleton, and it fell apart onto the ground.

The light from heaven shone through the office down onto the keyboard. I said, “Oh, my God, this is so amazing!” I knew it was not only the right decision, but that Diablo was just going to be massive. It was really the most defining moment of my career, as well as for that genre of gaming.

Developer of Diablo, circa 1994.

That's a game mechanic that would work in SL. It would produce lots of motion without much interaction delay, because the user is just selecting targets. Then their avatar will "go over there and swing." Easy for new users. Something to think about.

I'm not from the pew-pew crowd, but we may need more of that in SL to improve new user retention. The first 10 minutes and the first hour of SL need to be really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

has always been doable this

OnCollision
  Set Physical (if not already)
  Play Particles and Sounds
  Set PRIM_TEMP_ON_REZ
  Unlink all

i am not much into weps anymore, but back in the day scripting objects in this way was pretty standard

exploding targets: zombies, spiders, buildings, walls, etc. Couch guns also that used couches, tables, chairs, rubber ducks, unicorns, flying pigs, tanks, aeroplanes, rockets etc etc as projectiles all exploding on collision

it sometimes got messy tho 

Edited by elleevelyn
etc

Making an avatar go somewhere via LSL is . . . clunky. The viewer actually as support for old runescape style 'click to move' though. My 'ease of use' solution would just be to auto target: is someone with a sword (and compatibility HUD or whatever) within 10 meters of a skeleton? Move the skeleton directly in front and facing the avatar (because moving avatars via script is hard) and have the skeleton and avatar play sword swinging animations and stuff. . .  too bad we can't make damage number particles look nice, unless the system uses single-digits.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.