Best LabGab Ever?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am referring to this oneSecond Life's Lab Gab Special Live at SL20B with Philip and Oberwolf Linden.

First, @Strawberry Linden did a great job, striking a good balance between being respectful but not too softbally.

I would recommend this video to anyone trying to seriously understand the state of virtual worlds in 2023 (without having to endure copious SL minutiae).

My favorite Philip (Philip Rosedale) moments were his views on teleporting (which I totally agree with), his explanation of centralized vs decentralized control, and his determination to avoid the pitfalls of current social media.

Oberwolf  (Brad Oberwager) gave us insight into what is actually going on inside Linden Lab. The final question put specificly to him was "As an investor, what do you value the most  about Second Life?" I was expecting an answer that might be given on CNBC... shareholder value, technology, user base, brand, etc.  Didn't get that. Rather, he first talked about "financial consistency" which suggests that Linden Lab is stable with respect revenue and expenses... successfully treading water. Then he PIVOTED and offered another answer while repeating the phrase "As an investor" (later lampooned by Philip). My take away is that Brad views his investment in Linden Lab/Second Life as a lifestyle. He really likes his job (Executive Chairman) and really cares about Second Life and it's future. This is not about making a quick buck. The Office of Second LIfe is a manifestation of this lifestyle.

I get it. My own career in Silicon Valley was significantly determined by a desire to work with people who I respected and on projects that I considered a positive contribution to society.

All I can say is, "Keep up the good work Brad".

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.