Store Banner Image - Low Quality?

Jorino Jun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

i was working on my market store today and created a new banner for it, uploaded both as png and jpg formats, but in both cases i get that low quality compressed image as a result on my store page: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/61715397.png/

The strange bit is, it's shown perfectly fine in my store settings and in preview after upload: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/53127214.png/

Anyone have an idea why this happens or, even better how to solve it so i can display my proper banner in my store homepage also?

Seems that the image for the store page gets converted to a new JPG file on upload, but the one displayed in my store settings remains the original one (even as PNG when i upload it as that)

The image has no transparency or alpha channels in it btw.

Greetings & Thanks

Jorino

Oh, I didn't notice that until now, but like you said, the one on our store pages are converted to a JPG file, which means the banner can't have alpha channel, hence the drop shadow of your logo was converted to solid black maybe? So if that's the case, the JPG file you uploaed should work, no?

The image has no transparency or alpha channels in it btw. 

Do you mean the original PNG file you uploaded has no alpha channel? From what the converted image looks like, your file seems to have alpha channel.

hi Ry0ta,

it's also happening when i upload it as JPG file.

even then it seems to be converted somehow for the store but remains the original version in my settings page.

First thought it was an alpha channel issue indeed, but uploading as JPG didnt help :(

Anyone has an idea what to do about this?

Jorino

When saving a .jpg or .png all my graphics programs show a slider for amount of compression,  is yours at zero for no compression?

Also, did you size your banner to the right dimensions ( 700 pixels wide by 100 pixels high )? Don't rely on the uploader to scale it properly.

Hope something here helps.

I couldn't find a way to stop it recompressing the store banner, even if it was jpg of the exact file size it wanted. What you can do is alter the banner so the recompression isn't so obvious. In my case, my banner was red, which is a colour jpg is pants at dealing with. So I colour shifted it to purple and it recompressed without the quality loss being too obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.