A very peculiar thing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a friend, who, if they take their clothes off, their body disappears. They are not using alphas. If I, or they, relog, then their body can be seen. It is not just their skin, but also their body. Their head is not affected.

Another strange thing, is that when I can see them properly and then I right click on them, their body disappears again.

I do not have this problem with anyone else.

Is it me? Is it them? Any ideas on this?

I am using the LL Viewer

Second Life Release 6.6.12.579927 (64bit)

Thank you.

There seems to be some confusion. If one cannot see the skin, there is no body to see... so I'm not sure what you are saying.

The click and appear or disappear is likely a driver issue or you just need to relog.

Is it you are them? Good question. To answer it try using a second viewer. I think most of us old-timers always have two or more viewers installed for testing. So pick one of the third-party viewers and see if you see the same problem.

I suggest Firestorm for your second viewer because it is the most popular viewer in SL. Popular by 2 or 3 times more users than the LL Viewer. However, the LL Viewer is now pretty much the cutting-edge viewer. And FS 6.6.8 does have some kinks in the viewer's left and right click with this version of nVidia 531.79.

The most bug-free viewer is Cool VL Viewer. But it has a v1 user interface which is a problem for me. But it is FAST and reliable. Works better on older hardware than other viewers.

Catznip has the BEST inventory tools. Many of which are in no other viewer. So, if you are wanting to organize inventory this would be a good choice.

Black Dragon is now the photographers' and machinima enthusiasts' choice of viewer. But it too has a  unique UI. But the viewer is worth the effort to put up with its PITA UI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There seems to be some confusion. If one cannot see the skin, there is no body to see... so I'm not sure what you are saying.

The click and appear or disappear is likely a driver issue or you just need to relog.

Is it you are them? Good question. To answer it try using a second viewer. I think most of us old-timers always have two or more viewers installed for testing. So pick one of the third-party viewers and see if you see the same problem.

I suggest Firestorm for your second viewer because it is the most popular viewer in SL. Popular by 2 or 3 times more users than the LL Viewer. However, the LL Viewer is now pretty much the cutting-edge viewer. And FS 6.6.8 does have some kinks in the viewer's left and right click with this version of nVidia 531.79.

The most bug-free viewer is Cool VL Viewer. But it has a v1 user interface which is a problem for me. But it is FAST and reliable. Works better on older hardware than other viewers.

Catznip has the BEST inventory tools. Many of which are in no other viewer. So, if you are wanting to organize inventory this would be a good choice.

Black Dragon is now the photographers' and machinima enthusiasts' choice of viewer. But it too has a  unique UI. But the viewer is worth the effort to put up with its PITA UI.

Thank you for the information and suggestions on viewers. All very helpful.

I had not realised that the skin is the body. I thought they were two different things, as I had to buy a body and a skin. Learn something new everyday!

13 hours ago, Anthony Marques said:

Thank you for the information and suggestions on viewers. All very helpful.

I had not realised that the skin is the body. I thought they were two different things, as I had to buy a body and a skin. Learn something new everyday!

You are right, they are two different things. But, without skin the body is transparent. So there is nothing to render. It isn't that there is not a body, it is a matter of not being able to see it.

• Thanks 1

@Anthony Marques..Nal's advice is good as regards the viewers and there is nothing to add.

However

What is still unclear is the perennial issue of boy/skin/shape.  You say you had to buy a seperate body and skin, yes, but only if it was a mesh body.

The default body is not visible since you must at all times wear a skin and that skin cannot be taken off, only replaced ( a skin will only offer you one option, to "wear" not "add").  The issue you appear to be having is most likely that your computer is not rezzing (resolving) the mesh body of your friend.  Does anyone else have the same issue when looking at your friend?  If not I would surmise that the issue is with your computer.

WARNING (the next paragraph may cause your brain to boil)

Once we get onto the topic of mesh bodies it all gets a liitle more complex.  Mesh Bodies are are in fact not bodies in any real sense; they are simply mesh objects (that happen to be body-shaped!).  I do not want to boggle your mind with more complications like Bakes on Mesh (BoM), whereby scripts in the mesh body show the base skin that your Linden body is wearing.  If at THAT point you wear an alpha (most mesh bodies come with their own full body alpha) it all goes red!  (See what I mean about complications).

Just for completeness your base default body has four components that MUST be worn in order to rez, one skin, one shape, one brow/bald cap/hair and one lot of default eyes.

If any of those are not worn you will not resolve and will remain a cloud, or if particles are off, a white egg, in the Linden viewer.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling (I kan't spel)
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.