To Touch Items Through Other Items? Can We Do It?

Fading Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically, what I am looking for is a script that when touched presents me with a menu for two other objects. Then I can click on whichever one and it will open that objects menu for me. I have no idea how to search for this on marketplace but would love some help. I'm Fading Starlight in SL!

That's not one you'll find on Marketplace. You'll have to write it yourself or find a scripter to write it for you.  The specific design of the script (and whether you'll need more than one script) will depend on how the separate objects are related (whether they are linked, owned by the same person, attached to an avatar ...) .  It's not a hard sort of script to write, but without more information about the project, it's hard to say more about details.  If you want to find a scripter to write it, try posting in the InWorld Employment forum.

• Like 1

Very strictly speaking, objects/scripts can't "touch" other scripts.

Like Rolig kinda hinted at, the other objects need to expect that someone would like to open a menu through some other object, which requires a little bit of communication/cooperation from the two objects. Generally that means you won't be able to open a menu for an object you haven't created (or wasn't created with your script in mind).

The concept is doable, just with some limits. 🙂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Rolig, How much do you think would be appropriate to charge for something like that?

Wulfie, here is my specific situation. I have two scene rezzers on one platform. I want to access both my clicking one prim and have it say, "Scene Set One" and "Scene Set Two" (for instance). The scripts inside these scene rezzers are not written by me and they are no mod. They don't effect the way any items work that I have put them in. When you click one it brings up a menu and asks you which scene to rezz. I own and have modify rights to all the objects involved here, but have not created all objects. Is this doable? Thanks for responding!

I wouldn't begin to guess what someone else might charge.  All you can do is ask.  Now, if your items are no mod, though, I don't see any way for you to do what you want.  You can't modify their own scripts and you can't bypass them.

• Like 2

Having an object trigger the touch event in another object isn't possible. The scripts inside the "scene rezzers" would need to have the ability to be triggered in a different way other than touching the object that they are in. Since you have no mod rights to the scripts inside of the "scene rezzers" to do that, you would need a different "scene rezzer" script also.

The items are not no Mod. The items are all Mod. "I own and have modify rights to all the objects involved here."

Riannah, thank you. Sounds like it would be impossible then to use a script to get an item to touch an open the menu for another item. Well, I guess I will stop trying to figure it out. I thought I was getting somewhere with ChatGPT doing the scripting, but it's really not that good at scripting, haha.

Scripts can't trigger the touch events of other objects

In your specific case you would need two scripts, a Host, and a Client. the host would be the main menu object and the clients would be the rezzers, the clients would listen out for the host's instructions to know when to send a menu and who to send that menu to. That's just one example of how it could be done. this means the client's would also need code to handle rezzing of the scenes, and storage of positional data relative to the rezzer's position.

That being said, you wouldn't be able to do this with one script since the target's existing scripts are no-mod. you'd either have to start studying up some LSL or pay someone whatever their rates are for a project like this.

Edited by alexx Ohmai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.