Poses with Blender and Avastar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

currently I try to create some poses, which I want to export to Second Life. Related to this I have two questions.

I work with Blender 3.5 and Avastar 3.1. I use Firestorm as Second Life viewer.

First question: I try to create a lying pose. Therefor I placed the avatar in Blender to the ground. After I exported the pose to an .anim file and imported this file to Second Life the avatar is standing or rather flying.

The first screenshot shows the pose in Blender:

image.thumb.jpeg.220ec51200f42b6bec4c818c38e78958.jpeg

The second scrrenshot shows the pose in Firestorm:

image.thumb.png.9c603866c8c564174bd216ca94e574b4.png

What do I have to do, to create and export a lying pose in Blender, which will be seen as a real lying pose in Second Life?

Second Question:

The fingers of the avatar are spread, when I add it from Avastar. I changed the position of the finger so that they look more natural in Blender. After I exported the pose and imported it to Second Life the finger are still spread. It looks like I didn´t made any changes to the avatar.

What do I have to do so that the changes to fingers will show correctly in Second Life?

Thank you in anticipation and best wishes

Pflasterstrand

You need to watch the video tutorials provided by AvaLab.

Poses start with a 'T' pose. Your pose is made in reference to that initial pose. The SL system assumes any pose starts there.

For fingers, I think there is a toggle that includes or excludes the 'extra' bones used by Bento in the animation. It been awhile since I made a pose or animation.

It's flying because you rotated the whole body. The sticklike bone that comes out and touches the ground tells the central pivot bone how to align relative to its environment. Never do anything to that stick on the ground bone, and your poses will always face the right way. Instead of that, try selecting the bone in the center of the pelvis. One of them rotates the entire body, when you find it, use it to do your rotation. You can then move it downward on the Z axis relative to that stick on the ground, until the body is lying level with the ground for an average-height avatar.  Always mute the Origin bone, too.

I walk people through this stuff all the time these days, but I use an older version of Blender, so I have an easier time finding some things than people using newer versions seem to be able to, at least right off. When I started out, I found this tutorial very helpful.

https://avalab.org/avastar/279/avastar-2/reference/my-first-animation/

Also look in the Creation sections of the forums, there's a whole section for questions of this type, and we have some extremely knowledgeable people. Some of them are even very unselfish with their knowledge.

Here and on Youtube, I'm a fan of pretty much anything that Medhue posts on the subject (he's one of my artist gods), though you'll want to ease into some of his more advanced tutorials. They get pretty advanced.

I've found one thing has messed me up in keeping hand poses in the past. Forgetting to actually hit "i" after making a change in a frame before exporting. Other than that, I'm puzzled too. Maybe you're selecting the wrong set of bones? There's technically more than one kind of skeleton (such as the collision bones), and more than one kind of way to pose/edit the bones, which might not take when exporting a pose.

If it's something else, I hope you can get an answer from one of our resident longtimers. If you can get through the first few obstacles, it's really a fun and rewarding way to be creative. It gets way easier as you get more practice.

Edited by PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.