3ds Max 2012 Workflow

DanielRavenNest Noe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found a workflow to export from Max 2012 into Second Life, at least for a simple box with a different texture on each side:

- Use Max icon > Export, and select Save as Type = Autodesk FBX.  Give the file a name and click Save.

- In the FBX Export window, under Advanced Options > FBX File Format > Version, select FBX 2011, then click OK. 

- Download and install the FBX 2011.3.1 Converter from the Autodesk site:

FBX Converter

- Run the Converter, and use it to convert your saved FBX file to Collada DAE, then upload that to Second Life.

• Like 1

You may want to try this... might be a few steps easier.

In File >>Export (NOTE: "Export Selected" does not work for some objects)

When typing the name of the file include the ".DAE" on the end. The default is FBX. The exporter detectes the name of the file ending in DAE and saves it in the correct file format.

This is what I use in 2008 and work perfectly every time. Without having to convert files.

As a note to future readers, newer versions of software can break older functionality.  Case in point, Blender 2.57 has a rotational issue with rigged meshes in its COLLADA support, the vertices will be offset oddly as if each bone were turned 90 degrees.  It however works perfectly fine in Blender 2.49b.  Something similar may happen with 3DS Max as well, where simply exporting with .DAE doesn't work in newer versions and the workflow that Daniel suggested is necessary.

Gearsawe Stonecutter wrote:

This is what I use in 2008 and work perfectly every time. Without having to convert files.

That does not help with Max 2012.  By default the export saves as Collada version 1.4.1 format, which the SL importer does not understand (yet). Using the 2011 version of FBX (or the built in versions of Autodesk Collada on earlier versions of Max, which is the same thing), it saves to Collada version 1.4.0 format, which the SL importer can read.

So as I understand it, Max 2010 and 2011 will export directly from the program.  But Max 2012 went to a newer version of Collada, which does not yet work.

it works here, maybe its fixed now?

I wearing a textured mesh avy straight from 2012

In the exporter I used 'media and entertainment'.

The ony thing i changed was the axis to z up.

standard material with bitmap

max 2012:  no service packs
version: 2012.1
build: 20110303

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.