Texture Loading

Jabari Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies if this is not the correct topic for this.

Since this on 18 Feb

Scheduled - Second Life is currently experiencing a database outage, and we are working to correct the issue as quickly as possible. During this time please refrain from transacting inside Second Life, as in-world L$ transactions and Lindex purchases may fail. Additionally, some users may be logged out, and users will be unable to log in. Users that remain logged in may experience teleport/region crossing failures, and may find other in-world service unstable.

I have found texture loading, even for things from my inventory, really slow. For example, I added a BOM skin texture and 16 minutes later, it loaded and changed from grey. It does not seem to be region related. HUDS are the same in loading slowly.

In case it matters, this is the viewer I am using -

Second Life Release 6.6.10.578087 (64bit)

Is there something going on that is causing this? Is it the time of day? Is it the viewer? My connection is as usual, with no difference in performance. I never experienced such slow loading textures before.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

One thing to check because textures are either fetched across the internet of loaded from your disk cache. If you have any antivirus checker which is constantly looking at the cache directory this can slow down reads and writes in this area of the disk. 

Thank you. I do not. This is a new issue.

11 hours ago, Charlie McGregor said:

My connection is as usual, with no difference in performance.

Have you tried power-cycling the modem and any other network hardware you control between your SL client machine and the ISP? It is possible for network performance to be fine to everywhere else, but held up only for connections with the CDN whence all textures come. (It could be the ISP throttling specific traffic, too, but that's harder.)

It is certainly possible for time of day (and many other things) to affect CDN performance, but this level of degradation seems more likely something between the CDN and the screen. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Have you tried power-cycling the modem and any other network hardware you control between your SL client machine and the ISP? It is possible for network performance to be fine to everywhere else, but held up only for connections with the CDN whence all textures come. (It could be the ISP throttling specific traffic, too, but that's harder.)

It is certainly possible for time of day (and many other things) to affect CDN performance, but this level of degradation seems more likely something between the CDN and the screen. 

Thanks for your comments. I did more checking and it does seem to be related to time of day. Maybe as my day is SL night, there is maintenance going on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.