llRegionSayTo() question

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this general question came up before, but I have forgotten the answer.

When sending messages to other users or yourself with llSay(), occasionally the messages are displayed out of order in the viewer.

Are messages "guaranteed" to be sent and received between scripts in the intended order? 

I will be using llRegionSayTo() to send messages between two scripts.

Thanks,

Love

AFAIK, no. if sending large amounts of data in 1024 length packets (as you alluded to in another post) and you really need to keep the order, you might have to add some book-keeping to your conversation protocol. For example

• "0,some data","1,some data","-2,some data" using the sign to indicate it's the last transmission in the group, receiver stores everything and interprets only after a negative index, and number_of_received_packets+1==llAbs(the_last_negative_index).
  • sending acknowledgements from the receiving object, (transmitter 'sends the next packet' when it hears "ack" from the receiver)
  • if it's not mission critical, llSleep(0.2); between each message is probably good enough for most use-cases)
Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

AFAIK, no. if sending large amounts of data in 1024 length packets (as you alluded to in another post) and you really need to keep the order, you might have to add some book-keeping to your conversation protocol. For example

• "0,some data","1,some data","-2,some data" using the sign to indicate it's the last transmission in the group, receiver stores everything and interprets only after a negative index, and number_of_received_packets+1==llAbs(the_last_negative_index).
  • sending acknowledgements from the receiving object, (transmitter 'sends the next packet' when it hears "ack" from the receiver)
  • if it's not mission critical, llSleep(0.2); between each message is probably good enough for most use-cases)

Actually, it's less about keeping the 1024-byte packets in order (one way of looking at it), then making sure the "tail bits" (the parts that were > 1024) get delivered AFTER the 1024 bits.

But then again, if your entire message is "multiples of 1024" for a single unit of data, then you still have to track which "chunk" it was to reassemble it all.

23 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

sending acknowledgements from the receiving object, (transmitter 'sends the next packet' when it hears "ack" from the receiver)

^^The most straightforward method..

Luckily, the "process" of send/receive/acknowledge is literally separated from the main "process" due to the magic of LSD so...using ACK/NAK won't kill it. Mostly.

I was thinking about the other option, let the packets get there in random order with index information:

• "Here is a packet with LSD Key Blah, value Foo, this is Packet 3 of 5 packets for this Key".  So, the Receiver would be able to hold all the packets and reassemble them once all 5 were received.

This may be a little faster than the ACK/NAK solution, since the Sender would not wait for an ACK before sending the next packet.

In case I left the use-case out, this is for sending LSD data from one object to another.

ETA: Darn, I was hoping the "out of order delivery" issue was really just an artifact of "things said on Channel 0".

Edited by Love Zhaoying

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In case I left the use-case out, this is for sending LSD data from one object to another.

If I needed to do that, I've tossed around the idea of linking and breaking in my head a few times, but not actually tried it. that requires special permissions and is a tad slow though.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If I needed to do that, I've tossed around the idea of linking and breaking in my head a few times, but not actually tried it. that requires special permissions and is a tad slow though.

The "backup disk" will be a HUD, as will the main object.  Neither will be linked.

That's the idea so far!

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The "backup disk" will be a HUD, as will the main object.  Neither will be linked.

I usually figure out the technicals before deciding on the UI. probably too much hassle if you're only slightly over 1024, but having the object rez and then link the "backup disk" then unlink it and present it to the user to take, doesn't sound too unfriendly, especially if actually using the backup is less common than creating one. . .now I think on it though, scripted backup seems pretty silly unless the object is no-copy.

5 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:
21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I usually figure out the technicals before deciding on the UI. probably too much hassle if you're only slightly over 1024, but having the object rez and then link the "backup disk" then unlink it and present it to the user to take, doesn't sound too unfriendly, especially if actually using the backup is less common than creating one. . .now I think on it though, scripted backup seems pretty silly unless the object is no-copy.

Yeah, I figured out this technical approach long ago with many many notes and some tests, I'm just finally remembering that llRegionSayTo() had the limit of 1024!

Since the use-case, backing up / saving / restoring LSD data requires two objects that are NOT linked (since each have their own LSD storage), llReionSayTo() was the natural choice. I just happened to decide on a HUD for both the "disk" and the "master" for now.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since the use-case, backing up / saving / restoring LSD data requires two objects that are NOT linked

my point was that, if you link them, the LSD becomes merged, which if you figure out the caveats, might bypass the need for communication.

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since the use-case, backing up / saving / restoring LSD data requires two objects that are NOT linked

my point was that, if you link them, the LSD becomes merged, which if you figure out the caveats, might bypass the need for communication.

I definitely don't want to "go there" this time around, at least! 🙂 

Related:  I learned awhile ago that if you hack 2 LSL JSON strings together, any "duplicate" keys in the last part of the string "win" (without any errors due to duplicate issues, JSON invalid errors, etc.). You have to actually "change" something in the final Json then it clear out the older duplicate dups.  I decided NOT to use that hack, as using higher-level LSD KVP's solved the problem much better.

After THAT experience, I don't want to worry whether LSD object merging suits my needs or not. Because I want it to work "this" way * pointing *

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

AFAIK, no. if sending large amounts of data in 1024 length packets (as you alluded to in another post) and you really need to keep the order

Would there even be packets involved if the communication is purely object-to-object, since the process stays on the simulator the whole time? (I genuinely don't know.)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Would there even be packets involved if the communication is purely object-to-object, since the process stays on the simulator the whole time? (I genuinely don't know.)

I was using packets in an anecdotal sense, no clue about server implementation either...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If the definition of "a packet" is a "transaction" sending / receiving a single chunk of 1024 max bytes..yes.

By the "network stack" definition..possibly not, if the sender and receiver are on the same host.

But in "reality", I suspect assume the messaging system for llSay(), llRegionSayTo(), and listen() events uses some old "message queuing" software (whether homegrown or purchased like ancient MQ). That message queueing software will be dealing with incoming / outgoing "packets" at some point due to messages that do not originate on or go to the same simulator..

I think the 1024 byte max is way out of date. 

Speaking of packets: Would it be crazy to only use llRegionSayTo() for establishing HTTP comms for the actual data transmission? That involves some overhead (need to mind the rate throttle, etc), but surely less than making and breaking links, or patching together message fragments (in order or not).

On 2/16/2023 at 1:10 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking about the other option, let the packets get there in random order with index information:

• "Here is a packet with LSD Key Blah, value Foo, this is Packet 3 of 5 packets for this Key".  So, the Receiver would be able to hold all the packets and reassemble them once all 5 were received.

This may be a little faster than the ACK/NAK solution, since the Sender would not wait for an ACK before sending the next packet.

I personally think using the first character as ordering / end of sequence is a good idea.

Use 0x20 .. 0x7E for ordering, last 'packet' always has 0x7F

If you need several interspersed sequences, use the first byte as the sequence number (0x20..0x7E), the second byte as the packet number (0x20..0x7F)

Then the receiver can grab all packets even out of order, put in a list until it sees a packet starting only 0x7F (end of transmission), then do a simple llListSort() and all packets are already in-order ready to be reconstituted.

Sure this reduces max-usable packet size to 1023 (or 1022) characters, but you'll get easy reordering ability.

Then you just iterate the list, and terminate a sequence everytime it sees 0x7F in the second byte.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.