What is the right number on Path Cut to create a 30 degree pie part from a cylinder build prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question is straight forward. 

I tried manually gradually adjusting but I don't get a 30 degree piece when using Path Cut in edit mode. 

Is there another way to create a 30 degree part of a pie in prims or does anyone have the exact number to put in Path Cut to achieves this? 

kind regards. 

2 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

does anyone have the exact number to put in Path Cut to achieves this?

It's simple maths actually. 30 degrees is 1/12th of a full circle so the pathcut you need is 1/12th or 0.08333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333...

Note that this is the difference between the start and end values. If you only want a single slice, you set start to 0 and end to 1/12.

However, if you want a pie chart, it's easier to use consecutive numbers. That way the slices automatically align perfectly with each other. If for example you want several 30 degree slices, you set the pathcuts for the first to 0 and 1/2, then copy the end value and paste and add +1/12 for the end value of the second slice, paste the end value for the first as the start value for the second and so on.

Edit: This may be something not everybody are aware of but you can do simple maths - additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions - in the entry fields in the editing palette. This can be a very useful trick in many situations. But keep in mind that Firestorm has some pesky "overflowing" decimals and they can cause some serious problems if you're not careful. Look at this for example:

image.png.d8b740a05cb09ca9c2c65be82c901814.png

I want to move this prim 1 m along the x axis so I type in +1 at the end of the value there:

image.png.e6318391a196a888d3274f208d146fed.png

And the prim jumps not 1 m but 14!

The reason is that there is a hidden decimal in the field:

image.png.addb448efbd13578c12db9381da63306.png

This is a noob mistake in UI design of course but it's not likely it will ever be corrected so we just have to lvie with it and remember to always move the cursor to the end before you start typing:

image.png.68e7061c0958cfab515f10a590017640.png

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It's simple maths actually. 30 degrees is 1/12th of a full circle so the pathcut you need is 1/12th or 0.08333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333...

Note that this is the difference between the start and end values. If you only want a single slice, you set start to 0 and end to 1/12.

However, if you want a pie chart, it's easier to use consecutive numbers. That way the slices automatically align perfectly with each other. If for example you want several 30 degree slices, you set the pathcuts for the first to 0 and 1/2, then copy the end value and paste and add +1/12 for the end value of the second slice, paste the end value for the first as the start value for the second and so on.

Edit: This may be something not everybody are aware of but you can do simple maths - additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions - in the entry fields in the editing palette. This can be a very useful trick in many situations.

Ah I missed one logical step... 

that's the 1/12 part in relation to the 1000 in Cut Path. 

I just had to divide 1000 by 12. Duh... Thank you :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

Ah I missed one logical step... 

that's the 1/12 part in relation to the 1000 in Cut Path. 

I just had to divide 1000 by 12. Duh... Thank you :)

It's not 1000, but 1.0 (one-point-zero) with some extra digits.

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

This is a noob mistake in UI design of course but it's not likely it will ever be corrected so we just have to lvie with it and remember to always move the cursor to the end before you start typing:

You can change the precision from the Grid Options window (when you press the right-arrow in the edit window).

image.png.bec900935fa5c029c8ad5be5c083f717.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Edit: This may be something not everybody are aware of but you can do simple maths - additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions - in the entry fields in the editing palette.

As an additional nitpick, powers via the ^ operator, sqrt(), exp(), sin(), cos() and tan() functions and the pi constant are also available (use degrees for the trigonometrics). At least sqrt() and pi see some use for my purposes sometimes, e.g. spotlight or particle editor angles that take radians!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can change the precision from the Grid Options window (when you press the right-arrow in the edit window).

That's a very good tip but user configurability is still not a substitute for good default design.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.