Can't link more than 256 object

ReinaLexigle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello to all

I'm facing a problem and i hope to find a solution to it ,I'm a hair designer and i need to builds my hud who contain more than 400 textures,so i have to build my hud with more than 400 prims,when i link them i'm getting this message " Can't link more than 256 object"

So how its possible that other hair designers has huds more bigger than mine?

how can i solve this problem?

Any suggestions will be appreciated..thank you

I've never had hair that came with more than 180-ish color options per HUD. I've never even heard of hair that has more than that many color options.

One solution would be to group textures by similarity, like blondes, browns, monochrome, etc., and make HUDs for each group. If you want to give them all of the options in one go, just include all of the HUDs (being able to call it a mega-fatpack probably helps sales also).

In fact, most of the big hair purchases I've made came packaged this way, with a roots HUD, a solid colors HUD, blondes, browns, reds, etc.

Why make it harder on yourself than it has to be? Just break it up into 3 or 4 HUDs. It would also spare some users that annoying message that tells them their HUD is using too many textures, etc., and telling them it will affect their complexity.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I've never had hair that came with more than 180-ish color options per HUD. I've never even heard of hair that has more than that many color options.

One solution would be to group textures by similarity, like blondes, browns, monochrome, etc., and make HUDs for each group. If you want to give them all of the options in one go, just include all of the HUDs (being able to call it a mega-fatpack probably helps sales also).

In fact, most of the big hair purchases I've made came packaged this way, with a roots HUD, a solid colors HUD, blondes, browns, reds, etc.

Why make it harder on yourself than it has to be? Just break it up into 3 or 4 HUDs. It would also spare some users that annoying message that tells them their HUD is using too many textures, etc., and telling them it will affect their complexity.

Thank you so much ,in effect ,i'm thinking about your suggestion 

About designers who has all in one hud "MAGIKA" ,take a look at her hud ,she has a lot of colors and options etc

26 minutes ago, ReinaLexigle said:

Thank you so much ,in effect ,i'm thinking about your suggestion 

About designers who has all in one hud "MAGIKA" ,take a look at her hud ,she has a lot of colors and options etc

I've got several styles by Magika, one of my favorites has something like 196 colors, I think. That's the most I've ever seen on one HUD, really. Even with the different chest sizes and flipping the braids to the back, etc., it's still below 256. It's honestly more hair options that I could ever use, but nice to have. ^-^

Another advantage of multiple HUDS is that you can sell them all as a package, and also sell them each as a separate option for people who always go blonde or brunette, or who only want, say, fantasy colors or something. Some people want every option, and some prefer to keep it simple. It adds up to more sales from people searching in different price ranges, too. Not everyone buys fatpacks, even if they like the style.

And if you've got some 400 different color options, trust me, it won't matter if they're all in one HUD or 3 or 4, people will want them either way. You can probably expect to get some of my money too at some point. ^-^ If the hair is good, you could dominate the MP for a hot minute.

Edited by PheebyKatz

There are other ways of making HUDs than linking one prim together for each option, and that sounds like a very easy way to make GPU lag on a big HUD.

My usual way is to make a texture with a lot of the options on - a picture of one panel of your HUD if you like. Apply that to a plane, and detect touch position. The script needs to know what texture/tint that position corresponds to. A notecard can be used to configure that, or just hard-code it. The active plane is just switched into view in front of the others, if you need more than one plane (one texture) to hold all your options.

Another option is a mesh with eight front-facing faces, and a lot of those linked together. 255 of those linked gives 2040 faces. The script detects face and link - in this case you could have actual textures on the faces and read them from there... but I wouldn't (GPU lag!).

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, ReinaLexigle said:

Any suggestions will be appreciated..thank you

3 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

My usual way is to make a texture with a lot of the options on - a picture of one panel of your HUD if you like. Apply that to a plane, and detect touch position. The script needs to know what texture/tint that position corresponds to. A notecard can be used to configure that, or just hard-code it. The active plane is just switched into view in front of the others, if you need more than one plane (one texture) to hold all your options.

If you rez the magika hud and inspect it and check it out with transparency enabled, you'll see that this is the method they use, the hud is only 88 prim in total, even with 400+ hair colors and extras, most of those prims are making up the buttons. This would be my preferred method if i could script

Edited by HunniHope
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, Rick Daylight said:

There are other ways of making HUDs than linking one prim together for each option, and that sounds like a very easy way to make GPU lag on a big HUD.

Another option is a mesh with eight front-facing faces, and a lot of those linked together. 255 of those linked gives 2040 faces. The script detects face and link - in this case you could have actual textures on the faces and read them from there... but I wouldn't (GPU lag!).

Hello and thank you for the help.

I think too that magika use the first method.

I'm noe expert to build huds, can you please direct me to the links especially the first method it seems to be very interesting.and witch script can i use with this method?

Edited by ReinaLexigle

I don't know of any sources for the method really, or scripts specifically for it. I just roll my own as I know many do, and other makers contract scripting work out if they don't want to do it themselves. There are some commercially available scripts for texture HUDs and appliers but I have no experience with them and they probably won't really suit your needs. Always better to have a properly targetted solution if it's anything more than the basics.

I'll send you an PM...

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ReinaLexigle said:

can you please direct me to the links especially the first method

Take a look at the examples on the wiki pages for llDetectedTouchUV or llDetectedTouchST which demonstrate how to determine the precise location of the cursor on the face of an object when a user clicks on it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.