Constant Crash

Exxtacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I think it could be useful to see if there are updated drivers for your graphics card.

If you are using the drivers that came with Windows, you may need to install the latest drivers of your graphics card's manufacturer which most likely will be Nvidia, AMD, or Intel.

You can find those drivers on the website of your graphics card manufacturer.

Frittigern has a good suggestion.

If you have access to another computer, it might be useful to try using that instead of your usual machine. If the problem goes away, it's likely due to something in your computer, like the graphics drivers.

Or it may possibly be your router or modem, or your ISP. If you can go to a friend's house, or a library or internet cafe, you could try logging in from there. That could help determine if one of these things is causing the trouble.

"Crash" as in logged out of Second Life, as in the viewer aborted, or the entire computer crashed?

Useful way to test for intermittent graphics problems: run "The Valley". This is a benchmark for graphics hardware from Unreal. It looks like a game, but nothing happens. It's just a big forested valley you can explore. If you start it, it gives you an endless tour. Let it run for half an hour or so. If nothing breaks, your graphics hardware, CPU, and memory should be OK.

Once it's installed, it doesn't use the network at all. If this fails, it's a pure CPU/GPU/memory issue.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1

I have plenty memory available as there is nothing downloaded to the desktop. I have no clue about graphics cards and such things.  The viewer crashes not the Pc. I did check for updates and none were found. I'm losing my hair at this point. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.