LOD "baked" into one collada file?

Snodge Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm learning Blender slowly and have been attempting to make some LOD's for my model.

I know you can upload separate models for each LOD, but isn't there meant to be a way to set up the layers with specific names ending with _LOD0 _LOD1 _LOD2 _PHYS so that it is all in one file? Then when you use the uploader it will automatically see the LOD's in the file and applies them?

I have tired various naming conventions while blindly experimenting but have never manged to get the uploader to see the LOD's

I'm not very familiar with the layer thingy in Blender. How are you meant to structure it?

Many thanks for any info :)

EDIT: it normally says "LOD model has no parent" if that helps to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by Snodge Snoodle
additional info

58 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

No, they have to be separate files.

I'm not convinced about that as why would there be LOD suffixes you can choose in the "Preview settings" tab?

I know you can import objects with LOD's already setup into other game engines. If I'm uploading each LOD as a separate model I don't need the suffix. So this makes me think it's possible to set up the file in a certain way and have the uploader recognize the LOD's.

Just now, Snodge Snoodle said:

I'm not convinced about that as why would there be LOD suffixes you can choose in the "Preview settings" tab?

You use those suffixes for the file names. So if you want to upload a mesh called .. let's say SomeMesh, you crete files named:

• SomeMesh.dae for the high LOD
  • SomeMesh_LOD2.dae for the mid LOD
  • SomeMesh_LOD1.dae for low
  • SomeMesh_LOD0.dae for lowest and
  • SomeMesh_PHYS.dae for the physics.

If you do that (and of coruse keep all the dae files in the same folder), the uploader will automatically choose the right ones.

4 hours ago, Snodge Snoodle said:

LOD "baked" into one collada file?

Not one .dae file   but   one .dae  for each level of detail and one for the Physics models.  When uploading you point the uploader to the .dae file containing one or more High LoD models then the uploader searches the folder containing the High LoD .dae for the other lower Lod and Physics .dae s and loads them up automatically for you.

In the example below there are 4 High Lod models to be uploaded together along with their lower LoD and Physics models.

Thats 5 .daes each containing 4 models.  :

1-min.thumb.png.bef6a82066598cb251b5465b13afddf4.png

2-min.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

You use those suffixes for the file names. So if you want to upload a mesh called .. let's say SomeMesh, you crete files named:

• SomeMesh.dae for the high LOD
  • SomeMesh_LOD2.dae for the mid LOD
  • SomeMesh_LOD1.dae for low
  • SomeMesh_LOD0.dae for lowest and
  • SomeMesh_PHYS.dae for the physics.

If you do that (and of coruse keep all the dae files in the same folder), the uploader will automatically choose the right ones.

Ah ok that would make sense I guess.

I have imported models into a few game engines and you can just add the suffix to the object name in blender and export the file as one collada and it will automatically just work. I assumed that would also be the case here, as the suffix section in the uploader made me think it would work that way.

It seems a bit clumsy to have to save 5 different files, but hey if that's how they want it done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.