roamanhands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, roamanhands said:

I bought a Legacy athletic mesh avatar, what head will match it?  Does a shape include a head? I don't understand how to match a head to a shape.  

A mesh body replaces your body from the neck down. A mesh head replaces you from the neck up. You do NOT need to wear both a mesh body and a mesh head, although many people choose to do so.

A "shape" is merely the settings of the sliders you find in the Appearance window (right click yourself, choose Edit Appearance). These sliders affect the classic avatar body and head. Because mesh bodies and heads are "rigged" (linked to the bones of the avatar's skeleton), the Appearance sliders also affect them (with a few exceptions for most mesh heads).

With a mesh body, you can use just about any shape, including one that you've created yourself. It's a lot trickier with mesh heads, because different brands are rigged to the skeleton differently. It's best to start with the shape that comes with the head, then tweak it with the Appearance sliders until you get the look you want.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

With a mesh body, you can use just about any shape, including one that you've created yourself. It's a lot trickier with mesh heads, because different brands are rigged to the skeleton differently. It's best to start with the shape that comes with the head, then tweak it with the Appearance sliders until you get the look you want.

You can also get good head shapes by buying skins (especially if you pick ones designed for your specific head, or at least your brand of head). My trusty head shape that I've had for over a year is from a skin I don't even use anymore, but I liked the face shape and have kept using it with different skins.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.