Beards.

Da5id Weatherwax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And other facial hair.

There's plenty of options if you wear a closely trimmed beard (with or without 'stache), and many of the best come built in to whichever head you might be wearing, provided you aren't completely grey.

The problem comes in finding fuller or longer beards, which naturally need to be their own attachment thing, that work with your head. I'm finding this surprisingly difficult.

IRL, my beard is about 3.5 inches below my chin, trimmed to a gently pointed shape and if you can find any pepper left amongst all the salt you got real good eyes. It merges with the ends of a well-trimmed 'stache, no sideburns.  Have any of you guys out there ever found anything remotely comparable in SL that's:

• Not hopelessly obsolete (ie not made of tortured prims like old-style hair, let it be mesh)
  • Has a chance of working well with a Lelutka head (I wear a Skyler)
  • Can be had in (or UNtinted into) fully silver-grey

?

Failing having seen something that close, can any of you guys who do wear or have worn beards in SL give me any recommendations about good stores to look at?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, it's less of a "Mungo Jerry" beard, and more of a "Mandrake the Magician" beard? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/comments/e29hbg/1970s_band_mungo_jerrys_beard_was_referenced_in/

Sadly, it does not look like Sacha Baron Cohen will be sporting a beard in his Mandrake role.

mandrake.jpg

Think of exactly that grown out longer and trimmed. And no longer any kind of "dark" :D

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Think of exactly that grown out longer and trimmed. And no longer any kind of "dark" :D

If that's the one you want I'm pretty sure that the Rich Mesh beard (Goat version) by Volkstone is what your looking for

Edited by IGarrett

17 hours ago, IGarrett said:

Volkstone, Fuoey, and Unorthodox.

Checked out all three - none with a "'stache and longer goatee" arrangement.

16 hours ago, IGarrett said:

If that's the one you want I'm pretty sure that the Rich Mesh beard (Goat version) by Volkstone is what your looking for

No such item on the MP any more :(

Seems everyone selling mesh beards has standardised on 1: the full set including generous sideburns, 2: looks more popular in other ethnicities than mine, 3: pure fantasy - Viking style etc.

I'd make my own but without the mesh devkit for your head, trying to get mesh facial hair to move with your bento-rigged face and not like its just "glued on" (and therefore look like sh**) is impossible.

• Like 1

I am surprised no one has mentioned MAGNIFICENT. They actually have like 3 different bento beard styles fitted for Skyler. And you can actually make them look longer and fuller by increasing the jaw depth value of your avatar's shape:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/160169/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=skyler

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigMcIntoshSL said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned MAGNIFICENT. They actually have like 3 different bento beard styles fitted for Skyler. And you can actually make them look longer and fuller by increasing the jaw depth value of your avatar's shape:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/160169/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=skyler

I found those guys already - but they aint got nothin' like what I want. If I could get something like their Drogo that wasn't a f'in Drogo, just a normal 'stache and long goatee and didnt come with full sideburns I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe!

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I found those guys already - but they aint got nothin' like what I want. If I could get something like their Drogo that wasn't a f'in Drogo, just a normal 'stache and long goatee and didnt come with full sideburns I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe!

IIRC, the MAGNIFICENT beard HUDs should have an alpha function that allows you customize the look of the beard by making different parts of the beard invisible . It might be worth your time to check out the Drogo DEMO to see if that "Show / Hide" function can give you the look you are seeking.

Edited by BigMcIntoshSL
Clarity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.