Firestorm / DAE C4D "Bug" with LODS - anybody know where you can get an older version?

Charlotte Bartlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am probably being stupid but can't find the July 2021 release for Firestorm to download on their site - does anybody have a link?  I mistakenly upgraded to the latest version and it no longer supports any non custom LODS using DAE when auto generated in the old "way".  The issue is at my end versus theirs but until I can spend quality time on creating a new Second Life workflow I need to fix my Saturday Sale build :)

Background in case any other Cinema 4D users search for LOD issues:

The issue presents as when the LOD swaps the materials, the order and to which face the materials are assigned to, gets confused (so material 1 switches to the wrong face when the LOD moves from High to Med etc etc).  So it looks great on high but then mid if you have 8 materials they all switch around and again on Low and Lowest for each custom LOD.

It's been a known general issue (including LL viewer) as Cinema 4D has always done something strange with DAE 4 export if you create Custom LODS.   The issue prior to the newest Version of Firestorm, if you used autogenerated LODs did not present.  It now does present for those too.
The workaround is to export to FBX from Cinema 4D pull into Blender and then use the Blender DAE export and ta da it works (obviously annoying to do this from a time standpoint)).

I never really have had time to do a compare between the two program DAE exports to see what specifically triggers the issue (I need to to see if I can automate any fix at my end as the moving files through Blender adds more time/effort to upload).   

For furniture, I do full custom LODS hence I use the "Blender workaround" but for some larger uploads on houses where I only need the lower and lowest to be custom the new Firestorm viewer now behaves as when auto generated LODS are included (e.g on Lowest) the Custom LOD bug appears .     I am on the latest subscription version of Cinema 4D, but I am a rare breed as I know only two other creators who use it, so it's something I need to fix at my end.  (Unless I should be using DAE 5 over 4 etc now which I am midst testing).

Note I put all the information on why I am seeking the old version (so I have time to debug and plan more fully) in case there are more than two creators using Cinema 4D and they also have an issue so search the Forum for a resolution :)

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
typo

1 hour ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I am probably being stupid but can't find the July 2021 release for Firestorm to download on their site - does anybody have a link?  I mistakenly upgraded to the latest version and it no longer supports any non custom LODS using DAE when auto generated in the old "way".

Perhaps this is what you are looking for  ?   

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_older_downloads

Not sure if the following is useful for you but if you are uploading with Firestorm you can still choose the  the old GLOD option  for auto generating the lower LoD models.

In the mesh uploader under Source, for each of the lower LoD models you choose the Generate Reliable  option. (= old GLOD method).

The following is a screenshot from Inra Peys "Living in a modern world" blog :

608923157_FirestormGLOD.thumb.png.f0885ea97071c5692d83ac7974a5b3ea.png

https://modemworld.me/2022/09/09/firestorm-6-6-3-performance-improvements/#lab

and also you will find similar info from this Firestorm Wiki page :

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/upload_model_lod?__cf_chl_tk=TLpQ78TQba9TpWEFxVafDtyudFNphEOVKXXUau_OKVI-1665254182-0-gaNycGzNCFE

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.