Sound Issues....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I'm chatting with my sister I noticed that when I'm chatting with her main avi she is rather garbled, I can't quite understand every third word it's so bad. But if she gets on with her alt she's almost crystal clear. I'm not sure what she's ticked in what box to make it such a change between the avi's. I mean, she uses the same viewer. Could someone maybe give me a heads up as to what to look for so I can have a chat with her and actually understand everything she's telling me. It's like chatting with someone on the cell when they're driving through the mountains. And a crap ton of static. I hope that makes sense.

Too many variables for a definitive answer, but as a first troubleshooting step in your position I would do the following:

1. check audio quality in other apps. Can she make clear voice calls on discord, skype or teams? If not, probable headset issue or audio system issue. I would personally doubt this as vox-chat from her alt is fine but check it anyway to be certain.
  2. Do a completely clean uninstall/reinstall of the viewer, clearing all preference folders out of %AppData% before reinstalling to make sure both her main and her alt are running on brand-new default settings. Check for any difference between their chat quality before changing any setting. If there's a difference at this point I'm out of ideas - but there really really shouldn't be.
  3. now have her setup her sound preferences the way she wants, leave her alts alone. See if the difference recurs. If it does revert those settings one by one until the issue is fixed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Too many variables for a definitive answer, but as a first troubleshooting step in your position I would do the following:

1. check audio quality in other apps. Can she make clear voice calls on discord, skype or teams? If not, probable headset issue or audio system issue. I would personally doubt this as vox-chat from her alt is fine but check it anyway to be certain.
  2. Do a completely clean uninstall/reinstall of the viewer, clearing all preference folders out of %AppData% before reinstalling to make sure both her main and her alt are running on brand-new default settings. Check for any difference between their chat quality before changing any setting. If there's a difference at this point I'm out of ideas - but there really really shouldn't be.
  3. now have her setup her sound preferences the way she wants, leave her alts alone. See if the difference recurs. If it does revert those settings one by one until the issue is fixed.

I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to explain it well enough. But thank you! I'll have her do all that. You're awesome!

The one thing I can think of that can be different between two different accounts on the same computer is the microphone level set in the viewer Preferences.

This is an even more likely culprit if the account that has the "distorted" audio is emitting red "waves" from its voice dot. This is an indicator of over-modulation. Reduce the microphone input level in your Preferences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The one thing I can think of that can be different between two different accounts on the same computer is the microphone level set in the viewer Preferences.

This is an even more likely culprit if the account that has the "distorted" audio is emitting red "waves" from its voice dot. This is an indicator of over-modulation. Reduce the microphone input level in your Preferences.

I never thought of that. I'll have her check that out too. Thank you! I did start noticing the difference when she was playing with the voice modulator one night when we were shopping. You're a doll!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.